iTDi Presents New Innovative Courses in 2021
Great Minds in Language Education (GMILE)
Launched in 2021, iTDi’s Great Minds in Language Education (GMILE) courses offer a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in an 8-week exploration of educational theory and practice. Within a team of like-minded, passionate educators, you will read, discuss, and apply classroom pedagogy found in some of the greatest books written specifically for language educators.
"Collaboration creates just the right amount of tension to get lots done"
What's great about a GMILE course?
Regular ongoing self-study is admirable, but difficult. And, even though reading is one of the best investments a teacher can make in their Continuing Professional Development (CPD), many of us have shelves and devices with excellent, but as yet, unread books.
One solution is to make a commitment to a community that can greatly change all that. By exploring with peers and mentors, you can engage more deeply with the ideas offered in the book. Guided interaction with classroom practice and reflection can lead to meaningful changes in your thinking and classroom practice.
Facilitated by veteran educators Scott Thornbury, Steven Herder, Dorothy Zemach and Kevin Ryan, your team will co-construct a significant and memorable learning experience in a trusting and respectful, private community. There will be a core text, 8 weekly live online sessions, and lifetime access to an online discussion forum.
- Deep & focused pedagogical exploration (feature), leading to a thorough understanding of each issue and its application (benefit).
- Eight weekly Zoom sessions live, with recordings for you to review or catch up.
- Thoroughly interactive forum for course members within iTDi's safe and renowned community.
- Meaningful professional networking, leading to future collaborations on research projects, writing, or even in facilitating a GMILE course of your own!
- Improve your thinking, improve your teaching and become a greater mind.
GMILE courses coming up in May and October 2021:
Great Minds in Language Education with Kevin Ryan
Task-based Language Teaching: Theory and practice (2019)
Wednesday Dates: May 12, 19, 26, and June 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 Time: 11:00 - 12:00 UTC
SOLD OUT - Great Minds in Language Education with Scott Thornbury
Meaningful Action: Earl Stevick’s influence on language teaching (2013)
Sunday Dates: May 9, 16, 23, 30, and June 6, 13, 20 & 27
Great Minds in Language Education with Dorothy Zemach
English for 21st Century Skills (2012)
Sunday Dates: October 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 and November 7, 14, 21 Time: 03:00-04:00 UTC
Great Minds in Language Education with Steven Herder
Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning (2012)
Monday Dates: October 4, 11, 18, 25, and November 1, 8, 15, 22 Time: 12:00-13:00 UTC
"You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great." - Zig Ziglar
How does a GMILE course work?
- You will be invited to join eight live iTDi Zoom Room sessions, which will be structured discussions led by the iTDi facilitator. There will be one session a week for eight weeks.
- Participants are automatically entered into an exclusive, virtual group on the iTDi website, which will have its own private forum where members of the group can share and comment on text, pictures and video
- The cost for enrolling in the entire course is $300 (receipts for research funds available)
- Each GMILE course revolves around a text written by one of the great minds in language education. Each participant in the course is required to first obtain a copy of that text.
- On the completion of the course, you will be sent an iTDi Great Minds Educator certificate, but we believe you will have taken a significant step in your thinking and teaching, opening doors to new opportunities.
Look out for further courses in 2021 and beyond:
Scott, Kevin, Dorothy and Steven became fascinated with the idea of offering these courses through other collaborations in iTDi. They then made a commitment to launch this first edition of titles in 2021, with themselves as facilitators. However, we are firmly committed to offering a diverse range of book titles by a diverse range of educators for any subsequent courses. By all means, if you have a book that you would love to explore through an iTDi Great Minds in Language Education course, please contact us.