Teaching Online with Heike Philp
- Are you a language educator who wants to start teaching online?
- Do you already enjoy teaching online and would you like to run online events?
- Are you a teacher trainer interested in running online workshops?
- Or someone thinking about building your own online blended course?
For any number of reasons, this course could be for you!
In this four-week course, teachers will experience and evaluate tools with which you can teach online. We will examine the underlying pedagogy and focus on the skills needed to use them well. Participants will rehearse and record live online sessions together with a partner and then present those recordings during the main session on Sundays. You will learn where to find free resources for great lesson materials and you will be able to see them used in a variety of sample lessons by your peers. For those interested in receiving a Certificate of Distinction, you will be asked to create lesson plans to supplement your lessons.
As for technical skills, in-depth computer expertise is NOT required, but language teaching experience is a prerequisite for this course. Content and materials will be accessible to beginners in online teaching and also challenge those with online teaching experience. It is recommended that you have general PC skills, such as creating slides, using SNS instant messengers, and the ability to upload and download files.
Live online sessions will be held in the iTDi virtual classroom in October 2018. Live sessions will be at 13:00-14:30 GMT, which will be evenings in Asia (Tokyo 22:00) and mornings in the US (San Francisco 06:00).
90-minute Live sessions (registered course participants only)
Live sessions (registered participants only)
- October 7th
- October 14th
- October 21st
- October 28th
Time: 13:00 – 14:30 GMT – Check your local time here: CONVERT TIME
If the time for the live sessions doesn’t work well for your time zone, don’t worry! We record everything, and most of the work will take place in our online community (which is always open) so you can easily participate even if you can’t join the Saturday/Sunday live sessions
Everyone registering for this course is expected to:
- Attend the live online sessions on Sunday (or watch recordings)
- Meet online in pairs to design, test and record live online classes
- Search for suitable resources online and create slides to use in class
- Submit a live online lesson plan for evaluation
Due to the hands on nature of this course, we will only offer two levels of certification.
Certificate of Distinction
US $169 – If you want to pursue marketing and selling yourself online, register for the Certificate of Distinction. In addition to the feedback provided to all participants during the course, Heike will provide marketability critiques for teachers working toward this certificate.
Certificate of Accomplishment
As always, iTDi believes that all teachers deserve the same opportunity to improve themselves. Therefore, a limited number of scholarships will be available for this course. Please apply through our scholarship application.
About the course
During the course you will experience different online tools suitable for live online and blended lessons and will deliver and record a live online lesson.
- Learn how to teach a language in one-to-one and group lesson settings
- Use a variety of video conferencing systems effectively
- Design a blended learning course and add pre- and post-lesson tasks
- Get a feeling for intercultural competence working across time-zones
Course requirements: You will need these things:
- A Gmail account, to access the course materials
- A PC or a tablet to access the video conferencing system Adobe Connect and various other suitably low-cost, live online platforms
- A good Internet connection, a high quality headset or a good built in microphone
- General PC and new media knowledge
- A willingness to collaborate with colleagues and to share resources with them
- Patience to accept technical challenges and willingness to share them
- A commitment to using copyright-free material
Get your professional development certified with iTDi
Participants working toward a Certificate of Accomplishment will be expected to attend live sessions (or watch recordings), design, test, and record live lessons.
In addition to the feedback that teachers working toward a Certificate of Accomplishment receive, participants opting for the Certificate of Distinction will be required to submit a lesson plan for evaluation and will also receive marketability critiques from Heike for their planned online teaching business.
About Heike Philp:
Heike Philp is CEO of Let’s talk online sprl, based in Brussels, Belgium, immersive education specialist for language learning and events in real-time via the internet since 2003. Heike co-initiated four European funded projects: LANCELOT (LANguage learning with CErtified Live OnlineTeachers, 2005-2007) and AVALON (Access to Virtual and Action Learning live Online, 2009-2011), CAMELOT (CreAting Machinima Empowers Live Online language Teaching and learning, since 2013) and GUINEVERE (Games Used IN Engaging Virtual Environments for Real-time language Education, 2017-2019). Heike runs her own web conferences: Virtual Round Table Web Conference on Language Learning Technologies, DaFWEBKON for teachers of German and Annual Symposium. She co-owns EduNation islands in Second Life.
This 4-week online iTDi Advanced Skills course will bring up to 25 teachers together in our user-friendly iTDi online classroom every Sunday, and then continue throughout the week, sharing, discussing and reflecting in a private but vibrant online community. As a registered participant, don’t worry if you ever have to miss a class. You’ll receive weekly recordings of each class, full transcripts of the text chat during class, assigned readings and a PDF of the PowerPoint slides. Furthermore, the online community will certainly become a wealth of ideas and information, and it will remain private and online for your use anytime in the future.