Creating ELT Materials 2019 with Katherine Bilsborough
Get iTDi certified in Creating ELT Materials this June with ELT author and materials developer Katherine Bilsborough.
- Do you sometimes need to replace or supplement your classroom materials for your particular context?
- Are you interested in learning how to create good quality, effective materials for your students?
- Are you thinking of sharing lesson plans or materials on a blog or website?
- Would you like to have an archive of ready-to-go custom-made materials for your lessons?
- Have you thought of working as a materials writer for an ELT organization or a publisher?
If your answer to any of these questions is yes, this is the course for you.
Live sessions (registered participants only)
- June 9th – course participants only (60 minutes)
- June 16th – course participants only (60 minutes)
- June 23rd – course participants only (60 minutes)
- June 30th – course participants only (60 minutes)
Time: 13:00 – 14:00 GMT – Check your local time here: CONVERT TIME
Due to the hands on nature of this course, we will only offer two levels of certification.
Certificate of Distinction
Certificate of Accomplishment
ScholarshipsAs always, iTDi believes that all teachers deserve the same opportunity to improve themselves. Therefore, a limited number of scholarships will be available for this course. Please apply through our scholarship application.
About the course
Participants start the course by learning about the principles of materials development. They discover what makes materials effective and good and they examine a suggested framework for materials writing.
At the same time, from the beginning of the course, participants start building a portfolio of materials that can: (a) be used immediately with their own students (b) be easily adapted to use with other students.
Teachers will be encouraged to use the materials they make and, through a series of reflection activities, evaluate their effectiveness and explore ways to improve them or adapt them to use in other contexts. They will also be invited to join in a valuable peer evaluation scheme, sharing advice and commenting on materials.
Teachers of all ages and from all backgrounds are welcome. No materials-writing experience is necessary! This 4-week course will help you create materials by providing the necessary theoretical background behind materials development while focusing largely on the practical (and fun) side of creating.
With Katherine you will …
- learn about the principles of material design
- become familiar with a framework for materials writing
- learn how to select and effectively adapt authentic materials for classroom use
- learn how to create original materials for classroom use
- learn how to create materials from student-generated content
- have an opportunity to create a range of supplementary materials including:
- materials for reading, listening, speaking and writing
- exam practice materials
- vocabulary and grammar activities
- pair work activities
- games & puzzles
This course includes a workshop component in which participants will build up a portfolio of their own materials. By the end of the course, successful participants will have the skills needed to create materials for many different contexts.
This 4-week online iTDi Advanced Skills course will bring up to 100 teachers together in our user-friendly iTDi online classroom every Sunday, and then continue throughout the week, sharing, discussing and reflecting in a private but vibrant online community.
As a registered participant, don’t worry if you ever have to miss a class. You’ll receive weekly recordings of each class, full transcripts of the text chat during class, assigned readings and a PDF of the PowerPoint slides. Furthermore, the online community will certainly become a wealth of ideas and information, and it will remain private and online for your use anytime in the future.
Get your professional development certified with iTDi
Due to the hands-on nature of this course, we will only offer two levels of certification.
Participants working toward a Certificate of Accomplishment should expect to spend about 25 hours on class work, including attending all four live sessions (live or through recordings), participating in class forum discussions, and completing assigned tasks. At the end of the course, participants will submit a portfolio of materials created during the course.
Participants opting for additional mentoring will receive professional feedback and guidance on polishing one or more of the materials created during the course with a goal of publication. They will also receive personal advice for how to continue their path towards becoming a materials writer within their particular context. Mentoring will continue for a further 2 weeks after the end of the course.
About Katherine Bilsborough:
Katherine has worked in ELT for more than 30 years, first as a teacher, then as a teacher trainer, materials writer and author. She developed a passion for writing in the early years of her career when she would spend hours preparing supplementary materials for her own classes. Since then she has published course books and materials for most ages and levels. She writes regularly for National Geographic Learning, Oxford University Press, Macmillan, The British Council and BBC English. She writes blog posts and bi-monthly lesson plans for British Council Teaching English, and a monthly blog post for NGL’s ‘In focus’ blog. Katherine is founding member of the Facebook page Free and Fair ELT which finds and shares free resources for teachers each week. She has recently published ‘How to Write Primary Materials’, a guide for teachers who want to write primary materials professionally or for their own classes. Katherine is on the committee of IATEFL’s MaWSIG (Materials Writers Special Interest Group). She speaks regularly at conferences and teaching events and when she isn’t working she can be found in her vegetable garden.
Take two related courses, Creating ELT Materials and Self-publishing for ELT Professionals and get 30% discount off BOTH.
- Both courses with Certificate of Distinction $236
- Both courses with Certificate of Accomplishment $138
- Creating ELT Materials with Certificate of Distinction and Self-publishing for ELT Professionals with Certificate of Accomplishment $187
- Creating ELT Materials with Certificate of Accomplishment and Self-publishing for ELT Professionals with Certificate of Distinction $187