Week 4: Wrapping Up

Back to course
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

For this week, you can:

Draft and polish

Edit and proofread

Polish some more

Decide whether to publish (now or later?), distribute some other way, or move on to the next book—and let us know!

If you do want to post revised covers or content, Dorothy suggests posting it in this forum topic so it’s easy to know that it’s new.

Denise Epp
      Participant

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WAn7ofzvK4J_MphFfBBUEddWcM0Kfr3L/view?usp=sharing

Well, I got this far with formatting and adding in images and the front matter/back matter, but had problems with images. When looking at the D2D preview, there were extra pages everywhere, images were not centered or were on the previous page, and …where should I see the book cover? Perhaps it does not show up in the preview?

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

The cover might not show with the ebook preview online (at Draft2Digital), but they let you download a sample copy–and then it should show.

Images might float from page to page, depending font size. As long as they’re between paragraphs, though, they’ll show between those paragraphs.

For some reason, in google drive I couldn’t scroll past your title page. What sort of file did you upload there?

Denise Epp
        Participant

Oh no! When I got the shared link, it went into Word, I think. Should I put it as view only? Maybe then it will stay as a pdf. Here is the view only version.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WAn7ofzvK4J_MphFfBBUEddWcM0Kfr3L/view?usp=sharing

Wilma Luth
      Participant

Here’s my revised cover based on Dorothy’s advice about fonts & the subtitle. (One tip – make a note of the fonts when you download a cover! It took me some time to figure out which font I’d used for my name…)

I’m not sure about the subtitle as I don’t like repeating “your” in both the title and subtitle. Plenty of time to change it as I’m still working on the draft.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HsJzYthj28PUU1OZWaGBJwhxD4FvgQHI/view?usp=sharing

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

The repetition of “your” actually doesn’t bother me, but how do you feel about just eliminating it in the subtitle? I think that works too…

Can your title go even larger (without falling into the margins)?

Nice clean design. I really like this!

Wilma Luth
        Participant

Thanks Dorothy! I’ll keep fiddling with it. And thanks for the free book. Very cool to have seen it published live!

DOROTHY ZEMACH
      Participant

The book you guys watched me publish live is now free everywhere. Enjoy! And feel free to share!

https://wayzgoosepress.com/authors/dorothy-zemach/?#classroomgames

Wilma Luth
      Participant

Hi all!  I hope all is well with you in your corner of the world.

I’ve come to the realization that I need help (feedback, proofreading, encouragement, etc.) in order to get my ebook finished up. These are also things that I can offer to others. I’d love to connect with anyone in this group who’d like to form a writing group for support and especially with the goal of publishing our ebooks.

Two ideas come to mind…

We could start a “progress forum” where we can share how we’re doing on our projects and what we’d like help with.

Or

We could start an email group with basically the same goal.

Feel free to reply to this post or email me at <wilmaluthtesol@gmail.com>

We can do it!

Denise Epp
        Participant

I was thinking the same thing yesterday as I was struggling with a part of mine, too. I would love to work together on our ebooks. The only thing is that I leave for holidays this weekend and will be gone for 2 weeks. 🙁 Part of my trip will be camping out in no mans’ land, so won’t be able to access the internet. LOL. But if there is no rush, I will be back in 2 weeks to connect!

Wilma Luth
      Participant

Hi Denise – that’s great! There’s no rush, but I have given myself a deadline of October 31. I’m revising & editing right now. I’ll keep at it and aim to be ready for feedback in two weeks. Have a great vacation!

P.S. anyone else want to join? Personally, I think it doesn’t matter what stage you’re at in your project.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Content © iTDi TESOL. All rights reserved.