Home Forums Self-publishing for ELT Professionals Week 1: Homework Tasks #1 and #2

Week 1: Homework Tasks #1 and #2

Back to course
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Homework #1

Project Analysis: Audience

•Who would read/use my material?

•Why? What would they gain from it?

•What are they currently using or reading instead?

•Why do I think my material (or idea) is good?

Answer these questions in a reply to this post. Label your answer ‘Homework #1’. Brief answers are fine. Deadline: Thursday or earlier.

Homework #2

Project Analysis: Status

•What will the final product look like—text? images? size? format? length?

•How much have I already written? How much is left to do?

•How much of the thinking/planning have I already done? How much is left to do?

•When do I plan to write?

Answer these questions in a reply to this post. If you answer these separately, labeled this answer ‘Homework #2’. You can also combine with #1. Brief answers are fine. Deadline: Thursday or earlier.

Kevin Ryan
      Participant

HW 1 & 2 (Week 1)

Content: 24 readings to introduce IT (Information Technology) in simple English. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

The materials was designed for my seminar class in IT, so Intermediate ELT students, but could also conceivably apply to people who know nothing about IT, and are either young or with a tentative grasp on English.

2 foci: Learn common English phrases and jargon related to IT, learn concepts related to IT

Cambridge, Pearson, and Oxford all put out an introductory Tech textbook.

It works better from a student point of view, (I have been adapting it to my student level over the last few years. Tested.

Homework #2

•What will the final product look like—text? images? size? format? Length?

Book with 24 chapters, mostly reading. Right now there are lots of illustrations, but I will have to replace those with non-copyright equivalents (or just not replace them).

All the text is written. Pictures need work.

All pretty much done. I have added the last 4 in the last year, so they may need re-working to be more similar to the first 20 chapters.

Weekends mostly, but I have Tuesday and Thursday mornings available. Then there is summer vacation after the course ends to tie up loose ends.

Rebecca Valdovinos
      Participant

Homework #1
      •Who would read/use my material? My audience is targeted to minority women, specifically Latinas, who are venturing into a professional field.

•Why? What would they gain from it? There are no books on the subject of Mexican-American women seeking to leave the cultural traditional track and the realities of this decision. They would gain a unique perspective from one who did pursue this journey as a single mother.

•What are they currently using or reading instead? I searched on Amazon for something similar to the topic and found general diversity training books for higher education environments, but none specific to the issues facing Mexican-American women.

•Why do I think my material (or idea) is good? I believe it’s a relevant topic for the next generation of young Latina women who will (or are) facing the challenges of their cultural ties and the professional world. My writing comes with the perspective of someone who navigated this path and successfully raised 4 children as a single mother. 

Homework #2
      •What will the final product look like—text? images? size? format? length? I’m not clear on the difference between “text” and “format”. By text, do you mean font style? And format, does that refer to the type of writing, like narrative, descriptive, etc? With regard to images, the only one I foresee is the cover and I have a few ideas from my photo collection. In terms of length, I perceive a typical 100 page the size of a paperback textbook, not workbook size.

•How much have I already written? How much is left to do? I have a chapter which was developed for another book, but I foresee developing 4 more chapters, at least. I have more to do. I also have a possible title, and  chapter subtitles as well.

•How much of the thinking/planning have I already done? How much is left to do? I have completed most of the planning which I typically do with a “mind-map”, but I have much more to expand on the subject matter.

•When do I plan to write? I plan to write everyday. I don’t have any work commitments, so I have to time to give to this project.

DOROTHY ZEMACH
      Participant

I’m collecting up a bunch of blog posts that are currently on Betty Azar’s site, but will vanish once that site comes down. I have permission to republish them.

•Who would read/use my material? Oh, well. This is kind of sad, lol. Practically nobody? I base this on the sales of my first book of essays, Answers May Vary. It sells a handful of copies a year. BUT, I order my own paperbacks and use them as conference giveaways and gifts when I travel and do workshops and teacher training, and people seem thrilled to receive it. Granted, they might still never read it! But… I want it to exist anyway.

•Why? What would they gain from it? Some of the topics are things I feel passionate about (like appropriate use of social media amongst ELT teachers), and some are things classroom teachers perhaps would be more interested in (I have 4 essays on games, with photos of game boards I created).

•What are they currently using or reading instead? Probably people interested in that kind of thing are currently reading blogs or social media posts; maybe things like TESOL Connections.

•Why do I think my material (or idea) is good? I guess because Betty took them. Ha. I had pretty free rein with topic and content, but her editor did read everything I submitted and sometimes made suggestions.

Homework #2

•What will the final product look like—text? images? size? format? length? Ebook and paperback. Definitely those images needed to illustrate individual essays (like the games one); perhaps one image per post as decoration? I haven’t decided yet. I think I had 20 or so essays, though I actually haven’t counted yet.

•How much have I already written? How much is left to do? All of them are written; BUT, I want to go back and reread and update. I might also select one to make permanently free, as a sort of teaser for both essay books.

•How much of the thinking/planning have I already done? How much is left to do? The writing is done, but I want to revisit them all–some might need updating or revising. The planning… still in progress, but that’s for things like organization, whether I’m going to add images, and so on.

•When do I plan to write? Lord knows when. The wee hours of the morning? Whenever I can find a moment. Or if none are found, the day before the live session of our class so I can have stuff to post. 🙂

Denise Epp
      Participant

Hello, all! I could not get to the computer yesterday to join the Live session but just watched the video now in my office. I hope I can join next week’s…I have to work every Sunday now so I’m hoping to sneak off from the group and join the Live.

Homework #1
      Who would read/use my material?
      My present students would! It would be for the students in my 4th-year Clinical Pharmacy English class. They have a very difficult textbook and I have tried to break down the reading into smaller parts with supplemental questions for them to use as notes.Why? What would they gain from it?
      For those who want to work ahead of the class and can read and understand the readings, they could go ahead and start on those notes. For those who struggle with English more than the rest, they can use their translation software if the print is already on their devices. I’m also hoping to eliminate all that photocopying that I have to do now for each class!

What are they currently using or reading instead?
      They use an English textbook put out by the pharmacy society here. My students are certainly not at this level of reading in the science-based readings! I wanted to use this textbook, though, so that we could all understand the expected level of English for their grade level in pharmacy. Also, I want to keep my students on their devices, which they now use for research and getting the information they need for medicines we discuss during the class.

Why do I think my material (or idea) is good?
      I could cut out a lot of wasted paper in my classes. It supplements their textbook, so provides extra support to them in and out of class. It allows them to be in their comfort zone, which means having a device in their hands.

Homework #2
      What will the final product look like—text? images? size? format? length?
      At this point, I am only working with 4 chapters of the textbook, and a Japanese colleague teaches 4 or 5 of the remaining chapters. If it works well, I would like to encourage him to use the ebook idea too.  Since I am taking the info from my present notes and worksheets, I think it will end up looking similar to what Dorothy presented as an example in the PP, with just the questions and the students would respond in their notebooks. I would like to include a few photos and images too.

How much have I already written? How much is left to do?
      My worksheets and notes are ready to go… down to formatting and putting it into ebook form! I think it will need simplification and clarification as I go through it and rethinking the activities since they would need to write in a notebook, not on the handout.

How much of the thinking/planning have I already done? How much is left to do?
      I need to now work on making it somewhat interesting for the students. Which photos/images to use, where I can get them, can I have access to them….and the organization of the actual document

When do I plan to write?
      I can usually only write on Mondays and Tuesday during the day because I have a full course load of classes Wed to Friday, plus work through Saturday and Sundays on campus with the committee work and open campuses.

Sam Berry
      Participant

Project: A collection of articles used for discussions in my Media English senior high school class. (Definitely needs a snappier title!)

Homework #1

I think my students would appreciate having many of the articles we will use all in one place, and allows keen ones to read ahead.

A mix of articles I’ve posted on a WordPress blog and physical handouts.

I think I have a decent awareness of the level of my students, and the topics are (relatively!) interesting for my students and have served as the basis for decent classroom discussions in the past.

Pretty short for now. Probably just four or five articles each one followed by a couple of discussion questions and a brief exercise. Currently many of the handouts have photos (for example one of the articles discusses and features some prominent women in Japanese politicians). I need to figure out what kind of images would be possible, but in all likelihood, I will probably need to remove the images.

The articles are already written. I imagine I may need to do a fair bit of editing work.

The articles are written. I need to consider headers/task instructions. I also need to consider how best to replace current tasks that require students to write on the handouts.

I’m heavily into end-of-term marking and grading for the next two weeks or so, and then am flying to the UK (from Japan), so my available time is very limited. Other than task instructions/headers, I don’t plan on writing very much new. I have a one hour commute, so for now at least, I can write text while on the train. For formatting and for the actual project, I’ll need my computer, so mostly evenings at home after my son has gone to sleep!

Beth Konomoto
      Participant

Homework #1 Should it be done?
      This work would be read by novice teachers, experienced teachers, teachers with or without experience in Japan, advanced students with or without experience in Japan.
      Readers who are interested in the nitty gritty of real teaching life and culture aspects of language teaching that textbooks and teacher training don’t prepare you for.
      If a reader was interested in this kind of topic, I think they would try blogs and other online sources.
      My idea works because it is real, practical, and talks about culture and realities of teaching in a way that isn’t in a lot of material.

Homework #2 Can it be done?
      A short book, maybe 40, 000 words or more. It might have images, but I haven’t decided what that means yet.
      Over 30, 000 words are written, but there is still a ton of editing and organizing to do. To be honest, I’ll probably cut a ton of it and rewrite it all again.
      A lot! I’m embarrassed.
      I’ve got Tuesday and Thursday afternoons free this semester and probably some early mornings or late evenings, plus weekends. I’m going to try for 45 minutes a day. This worked really well when I wrote for NaNoWriMo in 2016. I just set a timer and went for it! Similar idea to writing sprints, but I just did it myself.

Annette
      Participant

I’m writing a book of tips for teachers of young learners. It’s a collection of activities for teaching vocab. using picture flashcards in the classroom.

Week 1 Homework #1
      Who would read/use my material? I envision it being used as a resource book by teachers of young learners. The teachers would be working with three to six-year-old children in school or after-school programs. They might be freshly minted or still in training and looking for ways to present and practice vocabulary or they may be experienced teachers looking for fresh ideas.
      •Why? What would they gain from it? They would learn tips for presenting and practicing vocabulary in their classrooms, ways to get children engaged in language using flashcards and through active games with images.
      •What are they currently using or reading instead? At the moment,  teachers are probably using activities included in the teacher’s guide of the textbook the children are using. They might be looking on the Internet for extra ideas for fun activities to use in the classroom. They are probably using flashcards already in their classes along with a course book. They may also use posters with young learners.
      •Why do I think my material (or idea) is good? They are activities I used in the classroom when I was teaching little kids in Japan. I’ve also shared some of the ideas with teachers in Mexico and Latin American and they liked practical tips they could use straight away.

Week 1 Homework #2
      •What will the final product look like—text? images? size? format? length? Ebook and paperback. I guess it would look something like Dorothy’s 50 Ways to Practice Writing. The difference is that 50 Ways is for learners of English to purchase get ideas for their own learning as well as teachers  who may want to use the ideas with their students. My material is written for teachers to give them ideas for activities to use with their classes. I suppose, like 50 Ways, many of the activities could be used in 1:1 tutoring.

•How much have I already written?  I have about 30 well-developed activities and about 30 more in rough form. Not sure what would be a good length yet. Also, I’m not sure if I should focus more on the teaching vocabulary aspect generally and less on the using flashcards side of it. It might broaden appeal. So it could be something like 100 Tips for to Teaching Vocab to Young Learners if it were more generally vocabulary activities or 100 Tips for Teaching Vocab with Flashcards if all of the activities include the use of flashcards as they do now.
      •How much of the thinking/planning have I already done? How much is left to do? Some of the writing is done but I’m wondering about categorizing the activities into different groups and how I should do that. It might be: ways to present vocabulary, having students practice words, competitive games, cooperative games, literacy games, something like that.
      •When do I plan to write? Good question! I’m in Australia at the moment, heading to South Carolina tomorrow (Wednesday) and then to Mexico on Sunday. I start a new writing project for Macmillan Mexico this week and have meetings in Mexico City next week. However, if I just can find just a little time to write everyday, even 15 minutes, something will happen. It’s bound to!

Homework #1

My students, any ELLs, English language teachers but also general audience.

It’s not a ‘traditional’ reader. It’s Language Learner Literature as defined by Alan Maley.

There isn’t a specific word list that had to be included or grammar constructions. I focused on spoken English with lots of phrasal verbs, slang as well as references to pop culture. I wanted my students to be exposed to as much natural language as possible. I also included traditional Macedonian names for place and characters to include some cultural elements in the story but also to avoid using usual names such as Mary, John, Andrew, etc.

I did pay attention to the level of difficulty but only after I had written the first draft. I simplified some sentences and replaced certain words.

I want them to be/get more interested in reading and improve their reading habits as well as to improve their linguistic skills.

The teacher’s guide is simple with plenty of activities and 2 sample lesson plans.

Traditional readers by Express Publishing, CUP, OUP.

Because the audience can relate to the characters and the story. The teachers have plenty of activities at their disposal they can use with zero or minimum preparation time. They can use the activities with this book or any book of their choice.

Homework #2

Ebook and paperback

The book has 67 pages of text.

The teacher’s guide has 56 pages of text.

The front and back cover are done. I might have to review some activities because of images/tables they have.

Both the book and the teacher’s guide are finished. I need to review them though.

Just a review

I plan to review it by the end of July or mid August since I’m on my summer break and I have time.

Shi Min (Eunice)
      Participant

Homework #1
      Elementary Year 5 and 6 students

They would improve their English language through music

Textbooks and reference books which don’t have the element of English through music

I specifically tailored my worksheets to the need of the students who will be sitting for their final assessment in elementary school by providing concise grammar notes, worksheets which have the element of English through music. The purpose of music is to serve as a catalyst to engage them and help them with remembering the grammatical items. The effectiveness of the use of music to improve memory when studying has been mentioned in some recent studies, but there aren’t many books in the market which serve this purpose in the world of ELT.

Homework #2
      It will be a compilation of worksheets on tasks like grammar, reading comprehension and writing in the form of text and occasional images which are related to the text inserted. There are also concise grammar notes in the form of images (converted from the power point slides). The end product will be around 20 pages (paperback), 40 pages (ebook). In the paperback version, I have the concise grammar notes being compressed into one A4 sheet with the template of mini 8-pages book. In the ebook version, I would probably split them into 8 actual pages, each page with a picture of that concise grammar notes that I converted from my power point slides. I will also split the grammar exercises into more pages in ebook.

I have written 7 pages (paperback), 18 pages (ebook). I have 13 more pages (paperback), 22 pages (ebook) to go.

I have done the outline of the workbook. Now is just the matter of carrying out the plan.

I plan to write during weekends before I meet my students on Saturdays noon time in July and August. I am writing the materials alongside the weekly short course that I am doing with the elementary school students at a music school.

Maria Anna Casoria
      Participant

My material is addressed to Secondary School EFL teachers and students.
      The aims of my project are to raise teenagers’ awareness of feelings and emotions and to develop students’ speaking skills through a discussion of artworks and photos.
      The final product will look like a long and detailed lesson plan.
      The outline and a large part of the project are already done.

Hi Maria Anna,

I think Dorothy wants you to answer the specific questions she asked. You don’t need to copy/paste the questions, but it would be good if you could edit your post to add more detail.

Alex Semakin
      Participant

Apologies again, everyone, for the rubbish you received from me because of the formatting issues. I would assume there should be a way to delete your post in any social media, but I can’t find any delete/remove button here. So would you please ignore the mess submitted earlier and read the below. I have re-typed everything in this space.

Homework 1 – Project Analysis. Audience.

Anyone who wants to get their head around English grammar – who knows the basics but struggles with intermediate and higher-level structures and forms.

Why? What would they gain from it?

First of all, I want them to gain pleasure. I want them to see that such a traditionally boring and/or intimidating subject as grammar can be quite sexy. Just as importantly, I want them to get to the root of each structure and form by themselves via lots of evidence and helpful hints (guided discovery). Rather than being told rules, given examples and exercises, students will embark on a quest for the form and meaning of a grammatical structure. And then there’s lots of fun practice to apply their new knowledge.

Traditional grammar books. Some very good but less fun than mine (I think). 🙂 The teaching tends to be more deductive. The standard course books which teach grammar along with vocab, pronunciation, etc, cannot by definition provide enough exposure to and focus on grammatical items, so students end up with very vague notions of structures and forms.

Why do I think my material is good?

I think I’ve already answered that. But also because the teaching is based on texts and dialogues that I believe are interesting, personalised and emotionally engaging.

Homework 2. – Project Analysis. Status.

What will the final product look like – text? images? size? format? length?

It’s a bit difficult for self-publishing, because it is supposed to have text, charts and tables, as well as highlighting in different colours to make the structures conspicuous. I also use various fonts and sizes. (I’m still hoping to find a publisher for it, even as I am experimenting with self-publishing. If self-published, I’ll have to sacrifice some visual effects.)

As for the length… It’s very long. Seems to be too long to pitch/sell as a single piece. It’s been suggested that I should do it as a series and now work with one unit to see if it can be self-published as a promotion. I might as well do just that.

All of it has been written. I probably need to take a fresh look and do some self-editing, as it’s been a while since I last did that.

It’s all ready.

When do I plan to write?

It’s been written.

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

Yeah, I’m really curious to see what we can do with a unit of yours! If there’s one that has less formatting than others, that would be a good one to start with. But I imagine you’ll end up converting a lot of charts and so on to images, and work with it that way.

Alex Semakin
        Participant

Dorothy, they all have about the same percentage of formatting, but some are simply shorter than others. I think I should take one of the shortest ones for this purpose.

Alex Semakin
        Participant

I have chosen the unit to use. It will be the one on the causative form, which is also the shortest one. I’ve just read it for the first time after 6 months and made a few minor edits (it seems you need a long break to read it again as if for the first time – then you notice the little things you didn’t see before). Worst of all, I’ve found I am so much in love with Century, which is my main font, and Rockwell, which I use for the texts, that I can’t imagine giving them up. I do want the texts to stand out anyway. I wonder how. It would be too much to make them images, wouldn’t it, as I’ll have quite a few images without that.

Alex Semakin
        Participant

Forget my question. Of course I’ll have to save the story as an image, as there is colour in it! The dialogue then could be an image too, because it’s fairly short.

Jenny Sayell
      Participant

Homework #1 – Project Analysis: Audience

Teachers would read my material, especially those new to teaching online.

They would gain tips to save time for themselves and their students, to make their lessons appear more streamlined and polished, to engage students of various levels and nationalities; and to make life more fun for both students and teachers.

Currently readers might be following blogs about teaching EFL online or reading books such as “Beginner´s Guide to Teaching English Online; The Ultimate Teach ESL Online Manual; Teaching Languages Online: How to Earn Money …; Fifty Ways to Teach Online: Tips for ESL/EFL Teachers etc.

I think my material is good because I have seven years´experience; I know the challenges; I enjoy the job and want to share that enjoyment; my students often come back for further courses.

Homework #2 – Project Analysis: Status

The final product will be a short e-book with basic black and white images.  The cover will be in colour and I hope my niece will help with the design.  Format?  I´m still thinking about that.

I have written five pages and there are about 45 more to write.  I have done a lot of the initial thinking.

Early morning is my best time for writing.  Daily would be ideal.  I´m just developing the writing habit.

Mike Griffin
      Participant

Homework #1

Hello everyone! It’s exciting to see your projects and plans here.
      I actually have two ideas so I will share them both here.

Idea A “From Abandonment to Zeal: 33 terms future Korean to English Interpreters need to know” This is based on my 9 years working with future interpreters. There are lots of words (sort of high level/formal) terms that students tend not to know but appear a lot in (mostly policy) speeches.

My now former students (and perhaps other students in the same position)

It contains bite-sized information that they need might have overlooked.

They are reading lots of things but nothing like this as far as I know.

I think it’s good because it boils things down to something that can be easily read and digested. It’s good because it offers a perspective on terms that new students to the field would not know.

I’d like it to be just one page per word. No images. So, we could imagine 1 page per word with 10-33 words.

Each page would contain examples including common collocations.
      Many (all?) pages would contain some sort of section about things to remember about the term

I have (literally) thousands of pages of notes. I have lists of terms that would be suitable for this. I could be flexible with the amount of words and just do something like 10-15. I am motivated to do this as sort of a gift to my former students.

There is a lot left to do for the writing but I think if i just had a few pages to use as examples I could build from there.

•When do I plan to write? Soon?

Idea B

Homework #1

Idea B: A collection of blog posts about observation and feedback
      (This is the description and ideally not the title)

It’s a collection of blog posts from my blog: https://eltrantsreviewsreflections.wordpress.com/
      It’s a collection of blog posts about observation: https://eltrantsreviewsreflections.wordpress.com/?s=observation

Teachers and trainers and admin at language schools and the like.

There are some insights and things to think about there. There are experiences to reflect upon.
      •What are they currently using or reading instead? Maybe blog posts or in-house guidelines.
      I think it’s good because it’s offers something of a new and fresh perspective on issues related to observation and feedback.

Homework #2
      Mostly text. Around 30 pages.

I could say that I am 100% done with the writing. That said, I’d probably write some introduction and additional information. I might feel compelled to add some thoughts from now. I might want to add some things (like questions to consider, for example)

There are surely some decisions to make but the text is mostly done. I will surely need to take a fresh look.

•When do I plan to write? In the next few weeks. Ideally I’d be more focused on editing and compiling and not so much on writing.

Even though Idea A is currently more motivating and attractive to me, I think idea B is the more likely and pragmatic one for this course.

To be honest, I am not thinking of it as an either/or thing at the moment because I am very sure I will do idea A eventually.

Judy Boyle
      Participant

hi there,

Ok because of other writing deadlines looming within three weeks, I am going to just focus on one pretty short document (that already exists more or less) so that I can really get the hang of formatting/’styles’ and all those other things I have utterly no idea about. My initial goal of  an ELT reader will have to wait on the imagination bookshelf for a month or two.

Working title: Guidelines for artists, musician, writers, film-makers

Primarily ELT educators  and young adult students who would like to contribute personal writing/film/art/lyrics to  The NO Project  – for use on the official site, seminars or within the free downloadable plans.

Simply put, they won’t waste precious creative time and energy devising something for the campaign that we can neither endorse nor feature. We created a document to pre-empt artists spending time creating cliched sensationalism imagery that often re-exploits the victims of the crime. eg barcodes, duct tape, chains – nope we don’t accept imagery such as this.

The reader will gain an understanding of 1) the clear guidelines we have based on governing values, 2) the principles underlying the reason for our decision. The document will also draw attention to – legal use of images, crediting, ethical story telling

The students who contribute material to The NO Project currently probably have no guidelines for their work- which is such a shame as they spend hours on shallow, inaccurate cliched representations of trafficking and slavery…hence the pretty basic word document that we created and distribute – which is written for B1+ level.

It’s a good idea because 1) it will prevent  artists, writers and musician  from wasting precious personal time and 2) I hope the document will encourage and support more powerful outcomes.

The word doc/pdf already exists, but although I like the intention of the ‘Guidelines’ I have never felt super pleased with it. Not sure why. Would value feedback here – both in terms of layout and content. It is only about three full pages and currently hosted nowhere on the site. I want it to look like  a little ‘handbook’ – friendly, not overwhelming, engaging and purposeful. Might include B&W art depending on final format, but the only vital artwork needed is the NO Project logo.

This final (very) mini ebook  will be freely available online through the site.

Pretty much all the writing is done, but the based on feedback I would like to improve the flow and the appearance of the content – so it looks super professional!

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

Hi Judy, Note that if you’re going to be offering this book on your site only, as a free download, you can be a bit heavier with images than something for sale on Amazon–because no delivery charges for you. 🙂 So you might want to consider having a few image examples of “Don’t do this [image], do this [better image].” That could be really useful!

Matt Cotter
      Participant

Homework 1

I am hoping young readers (8-16yrs) specifically in NZ but around the world would also be good.

An insight into some of the troubles facing young Maori these days and possibly (hopefully) see that there are some ways to become proud of their Maori identity.

Other teenage novels?  Or many Maori are not reading at all …it is a big problem. This book may be recommended to them or a teacher may read it to them in class.

Why do I think my material (or idea) is good?
      I don’t think there is much out there on this topic aimed at young readers.

Homework 2

What will the final product look like—text? images? size? format? length?</p>
      I am hoping easy to read paragraphs with some pictures. A smallish book that can fit into a school bag.  40,000 words or more.

I have written 12,000 words for a graded reader here in Japan but been given rights to make into a novel for L1 readers if I extend to over 40,000 words. I have not written any more on it as yet. 

I have some ideas to extend with two extra chapters on two new characters to add to the story. I haven’t started extending so obviously over 28,000 more words to write.

When do I plan to write?
      Whenever I can get some time…possibly over mid year or end of year holidays.

Wilma Luth
      Participant

Teachers who want to develop a reflective practice and are not sure where to begin and/or teachers who want to re-energize their teaching with more than new activities to try in the classroom. Based on the readership of my blog this might not be a huge audience, but that’s all right with me.

Knowledge of the reflective attitudes and how to develop them. Some inspiration for/about their teaching practice.

There are several books about reflective practice, but I haven’t found one that focuses on the reflective attitudes. Books like “The Developing Teacher” by Duncan Foord; anything by Thomas Farrell or John Fanselow are probably the closest to mine.

•Why do I think my material (or idea) is good?</p>

I’ve had good response to my blog posts in the reflective attitudes series that this is based on. It’s a topic that I’ve thought quite a lot about and spent time working out my ideas in various (unpublished) book drafts.

Homework #2

It will be an ebook and paperback (eventually?). It should have some images – maybe a recurring theme throughout or an image/illustration/graphic that illustrates each reflective attitude. It will be about 10,000 – 12,000 words.

I’ve compiled the blog posts I want to use into a 11,300 word rough draft. It needs revising and reworking to make the sections more uniform in style and length. Currently the chapters vary in length from 780 to 1600 words so the biggest challenge will probably be revising the chapters so they’re of similar length.

The content is basically there. It’s the formatting and organization that needs work.

One hour first thing in the morning and one more in the evening.

Anna Loseva
      Participant

Hi Dorothy and all,

Sorry to be late, I realized the deadline was Thursday!..

As I was watching the recording of the first session (that I had to miss), another idea came to me of what could be my project to work on in this course. So, like Mike above, I’ll describe the two ideas I have in mind right now, and hope for your feedback!

Homework #1. Project Analysis: Audience
      PROJECT A: Self-study Materials for Buddhist Learners of English
      •Who would read/use my material? –> Vietnamese Buddhist learners of English, both laymen and clergy, members of the Facebook group I have been a teacher/co-admin for; their friends and other Buddhists who’d get access/link to the book.
      •Why? What would they gain from it? –> The content targeting specifically Buddhism-related topics is not to be found in traditional textbooks, or elsewhere (to my knowledge). The learners would use the materials to study on their own or with someone else, of course for free.
      •What are they currently using or reading instead? –> Another teacher/admin in that group, a monk studying in a Buddhist university in Sri-Lanka, has been uploading what he calls “lectures” in that group. Those are most often religious texts and/or texts related to the Buddhist traditions, with some vocabulary translated into Vietnamese. The members of that group study the texts.
      Why do I think my material (or idea) is good? –> Most of these learners need English for a very specific content purpose. With my interest in the topic of Buddhism (however amateur) and a year-long experience with that group, I think I can produce a nice enough set of materials… targeted specifically for THESE students. And for no cost to them.

PROJECT B: The Best of #FlashmobELT: 66 Activities You Can Use Today
      •Who would read/use my material? –> Teachers of English in any context. The #flashmobelt was a crowdsourcing project I co-organized a few years ago, where teachers would post online sticky notes with low-prep, wide context use activities good to go in most classrooms at any point. The free e-book would become a way to put the activities from 4 such online walls together in one place.
      •Why? What would they gain from it? –> All of those activities together in one place! No need to look for the online wall and search for activities there.
      •What are they currently using or reading instead? –> I believe there are thousands of similar resources =)))) However, this one is activities that were crowdsourced (names and Twitter handles of the contributors, obviously, would be mentioned) by teachers themselves.
      Why do I think my material (or idea) is good? –> It’s something that already exists but is badly organized difficult to access, and well, is forgotten. Putting things in one place would be kind of a conclusion to the glorious #flashmobelt days =)

Homework #2  Project Analysis: Status
      PROJECT A: Self-study Materials for Buddhist Learners of English
      •What will the final product look like—text? images? size? format? length? –> A modified worksheet-type (no fill in the gaps, or lines to write on… adapted instructions); some images, stock photos and taken by me as well. I might include a worksheet-type version as a link to download the .pdf from, like Dorothy was showing in the session. I’m not about the length yet, not too long (5 topics? 10 topics? kinda random, maybe related to the video content I’ve already produced for that group in a year)
      •How much have I already written? How much is left to do? –> I have 2 worksheets that I would edit for ebook suitable format. I’ll look at my previous posts and activities I’ve posted and judge what can be easily made into self-study materials.
      •How much of the thinking/planning have I already done? How much is left to do? –> Read above! =)) That’s my thinking/planning at the moment.
      •When do I plan to write? –> Over the summer months! BEFORE I find a job and get busy.

PROJECT B: The Best of #FlashmobELT: 66 Activities You Can Use Today

What will the final product look like—text? images? size? format? length? –> It will be plain text! A list of activities. Plus the description of the project, and possibly the blogposts related to it.

•How much have I already written? How much is left to do? –> I have copied and pasted the activities from 4 online walls in a document (it’s 19 pages now). Also I have the description of the project on my blog, and related blogposts on my blog, too (and some other people’s blogs). What’s left is to make it look readable, organize.
      •How much of the thinking/planning have I already done? How much is left to do? –> Read above! =)) That’s my thinking/planning at the moment.
      •When do I plan to write? –> Over the summer months! BEFORE I find a job and get busy. and/or during this course.
      I’m not sure which one to focus on during the course, actually… I would appreciate your ideas on what looks more doable, I guess..

Here’s a worksheet for Buddhists to adapt for the ebook.

Here’s the document I have now with #flashmobelt activities.

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

Hi Anna,

Both those sound great! For the first, I wonder if you could also get some religious texts? That would make a great paraphrasing/summarizing/explaining exercise, I would think. I forget–are you in Vietnam now? Yes, right? You might be able to take your own photo for a cover image. Some nice temple or something. There are plenty on stock photo sites too, of course.

For #2, I think the main issue would be contacting all the original creators of the post-it notes and asking if they’re OK with their material now being included in a book. You should say whether you plan to sell it or give it away. I imagine most people would say they’re fine with it, and wouldn’t ask for payment, though it would be a nice gesture to offer them a free copy of the book and of course credit them somewhere. But I do think you have to ask.

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

I had another thought, after looking at your worksheet. You could do, say, the regular workbook-y type thing as a paperback, and then the videoscripts as an ebook. That way people could look up the scripts on their phones or a device as necessary, but you wouldn’t take pages and pages to print them. Just a thought. Where are the videos from? Are they something you could link to?

Deborah Kellermann
      Participant

Debbie Kellermann/Self Publishing 2019/Assignment Week #1

Homework #1

Teachers of ESL/ELL/EFL high school or adult students

Teachers would gain a versatile teaching tool that enables those teachers to improve students’ writing, grammar, creative. and critical thinking skills to high school and college learners

ESL and EFL textbooks approved for high school and college programs.

Journaling proved very successful in my college level classrooms across several skill levels. Several other classroom instructors in my department have also successfully used journaling in their ESL/ELL/EFL classrooms.

Homework #2

I have a vision for my e-book that includes different color font and pictures/gifs.

•How much have I already written?

I am about 75% complete,

How much is left to do?

I have one chapter and a possible conclusion to complete.

•How much of the thinking/planning have I already done?

I have completed about 85% but need some help re-formatting How much is left to do? I need to finish the last chapter and conclusion and re-format my pictures to be smaller.

When do I plan to write?

In the early afternoons and be finished by July 20.

Michael Free
      Participant

Homework #1

[Note: this is not *my* material, but I am using it with the permission of the author!]
      Students in a 30-student class on speaking and debate

1. A text version of the material covered in class
      2. More depth
      3. Supplementary information

Individual class handouts

1. Puts the material in one place
      2. Students all have devices so they will be able to access it all the time.

Homework #2

Cover + e-book
      Text is currently 48 pages
      Images may be added (but it is not a necessity)

The text is complete (thought the author is revising it).

I’m going to spend a lot of time playing around to see what I / Vellum can do under Dorothy’s watchful eye. 🙂

I don’t! Yay me!
      that’s a lie — I do plan to begin work on a couple of other, smaller projects.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Content © iTDi TESOL. All rights reserved.