Home Forums Self-publishing for ELT Professionals Resources (images, editors, designers, software)

Resources (images, editors, designers, software)

Back to course
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

DOROTHY ZEMACH
      Participant

Here’s where I’ll be posting links to resources for self-publishers. Feel free to add your own! Let’s try though to keep them somewhat organized by type–editors and proofreaders in an editing thread, images in an image thread, and so on.

DOROTHY ZEMACH
      Participant

Images–post links to good sites (free or paid) for images that could be used for book covers or interior artwork.

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

DOROTHY ZEMACH

Participant

Images! I wasn’t going to talk about this before the second link, but if there’s any chance you’d want stock photos for either your book cover or your interior, this deal only comes once a year and that time is now! And it’s the best deal (outside of completely free sites) that I know.

Depositphotos is a stock image site–normally one image is one credit, and they periodically run sales throughout the year for 100 images for $100, with a year to use them. Which is pretty good. But! This is better. This is $49 for 100 credits, and your credits never expire. I normally buy one or two every year, and then any time I need a professional photo I can just grab one. I use them for images in my powerpoint slides for presentations and workshops as well as for things like book covers.

Click here: (and no, I don’t know how long the deal will last! So apologies if you are interested and don’t get to it in time)

https://APPSUMO.COM/DEPOSITPHOTOS-2019/?CLICKID=WXLQFTRCW1AYWBFX1Y3VJ0UTUKLR-1ZTRXT4SQ0&IRGWC=1&UTM_MEDIUM=1314874&UTM_CAMPAIGN=ONLINE%20TRACKING%20LINK&UTM_SOURCE=IR

Note that this link contains an affiliate code–it will cost you nothing but will give a slight fee to David Gaughran (whose book on self-publishing I’ll be recommending) via AppSumo. Doesn’t affect your deal at all, but I just like to be transparent with links.

Add links to useful resources for editors and proofreaders as replies here.

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

Walton Burns, active in publishing (both indie and traditional) also provides development, content, and copy editing, as well as a host of other indie services.

https://www.alphabetpublishingbooks.com/red-panda/

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

I’ve worked with Lise when she was at CUP and again when she was with Pearson. And now she’s freelance!

https://lminovitz.wixsite.com/lminovitz

Kevin Ryan
        Participant

Just ran across this (via Nik Peachey, great resource guy) of a website that tells you the level of your text, in a couple of different ways (CEFR, Readability). I ran one of my chapters through it and it came out B1+, but really it is B2 (86% cmprehension). https://papyrus.edia.nl/

Alex Semakin
        Participant

Great resource, Kevin, thanks for sharing. The assessment feels accurate. I have run various texts from my book through it and they are all between B1 and B2, which is good. The only unit that ended up B2+ is the one on the Passive Voice, which is kind of natural because I was trying to imitate newspaper style.

Add useful links for writing and publishing here.

Kevin Ryan
        Participant

During Dorothy’s interview a couple of weeks ago she mentioned David Gaughran’s ebook LET’S GET DIGITAL: How to self-publish and why you should.

I went out and got it immediately and spent 3 days reading it. Great stuff, a good introduction to the course, I think. Covers a lot of ground in 3 parts: What it’s like to publish, 2) How to publish and make it work, 3) success stories from others, with details. He focuses on selling fiction mostly, but much can be adapted. Well worth the time. Only $5. He also has an article on the website that has some of this information, it is shorter and free. It’s called AMAZON DECODED. You have to sign up for the newsletter, but again, worth it.

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

David’s mailing list is a great one to be on, for self-pubbers! Very useful. (Disclaimer: David is a friend.) He’s also very active on Twitter and his blog. He’s very knowledgable about how Amazon works. If you want to gape at the latest scams and scandals, he’s the guy to follow.

Beth Konomoto
        Participant

Just checked out his twitter feed and went down a rabbit hole! Love/hate twitter for that. Thanks for this! Good stuff 🙂

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

For people who are interested in honing their craft at the development level, ELT Teacher 2 Writer has a whole series out about how to write stuff.

http://www.eltteacher2writer.co.uk/modules/modules-available-now

Deborah Kellermann
      Participant

Dorothy ,  I downloaded Smashwords . What about these other books by same author in the series?

Also in Series: Smashwords Guides

Also, the website Unsplash is a great resource for great photos, but are all huge files. Can you help us re-format so we can  use in our ebooks ?

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

Mark Coker is the guy who owns/runs Smashwords. I haven’t read either of those two books, but if they’re free… nothing to lose, right? Note that Coker is NOT a fan of Amazon (his main competition). If there’s any anti-Amazon stuff in there, that’s where it’s coming from.

We’ll be working with images next week, don’t worry! Maybe I’ll do a live “making an image smaller,” if that would be helpful.

Deborah Kellermann
        Participant

Thank you so much : )

Debbie

Deborah Kellermann
      Participant

Hello Dorothy, Where is the “impromptu Book Cover ” posted for us to download?

Thank you: )

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

It’s in Drive. From the course page, click on Drive in the top menu. Then click on the thumbnails of the book covers to download. I’ve also just sent them by email to everyone 🙂

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Content © iTDi TESOL. All rights reserved.