Home Forums iTDi TESOL Certificate Module 4 Reading, Resources & Discussion

Module 4 Reading, Resources & Discussion

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Here you will find additional reading, videos, and resources for Module 4.

Feel free to add your own, ask questions, make comments, suggestions, etc.

Unit 1 Reading & Resources

Watch the video below. What do you agree/disagree with? (Choose 3-5 key points.)
      Giving feedback on activities (Jo Gokunga) (Video)

Optional

You may refer to the following summary article and videos in your Lesson 2 and 3 Forum post:

Keeping them speaking in English (Jo Gokunga) (Video)

“Don’t leave the L1 out of English-taught programs, OUP experts warn” (The Pie News)

The First 5 Minutes of Class (Steven Herder) (Video)

Unit 2 Reading & Resources

Read the following 4 articles and prepare a 3-minute summary of either (a) Scott’s 3 short articles OR (b) Ways of Motivating EFL/ESL Students in the Classroom.

(a) 3 short articles by Scott Thornbury that relate to dialogue, roleplay, and motivation:

1. C is for Conversation
      2. R is for Repetition
      3. H is for Humanistic approaches

(b) Next, Ways of Motivating EFL/ ESL Students in the Classroom weaves together a number of topics covered thus far in the course.

Optional

(a) Using roleplay in language learning (Jo Gokunga, ELT Training)

(b) For those interested in looking deeper into motivation, Dörnyei’s (2009) Motivation in second and foreign language learning provides an excellent overview of the important underlying theories and concepts, from the influence of attitudes, behaviours, and beliefs to the roles of self-efficacy, self-worth, and self-confidence; as well as self-determination and goal theories. It also considers psychology, neurobiology and sociocultural research and perspectives before establishing the need for Ten Commandments for Motivating Language Learners (Dornyei & Csizer, 1998).

Unit 3 Reading & Resources

Use and refer to relevant articles to prepare for your teaching practice demonstration and discussion in Tutorial 13.

(a) Coursebooks

(b) Learner Autonomy

Rhett Burton
      Participant

textbook – selected “Sausage and the law: how textbooks are made” by Dorothy Zemach.

I chose this text because of my curiosity for the process of textbook creation and because I know Dorothy through her EBOOK course on iTDi. In her plenary talk, she discussed a lot of the reasons why publishers do what they do and how it affects the book, and the earnings course writers can expect from writing a book. She hints at why teachers should consider self-publishing vs. authoring larger books when it comes to sales and earnings.

My big take away was her phrase, “It isn’t as good as what isn’t there!”
      She pointed out that authors work under a lot of restraints due to the nature of what published believe they need and want based on marketing and salability. And, for these reasons, texts, activities, and exercises must follow a specific framework to maintain a consistent feel and ‘perceived’ desirability. She argued that, whatever is in the book, is never better than what isn’t in the textbook because most ideas and concepts get cut during the editing phases.

Rhett Burton
      Participant

(b) Learner Autonomy

This article is quite dense (for me), but very interesting.

It discusses philosophies if learning, conditions for autonomy, and how autonomy can be promoted.

I was quite interested in the different philosophies. The article talks about positivism (which I know little about), constructivism, and critical theory.

Positivism explores hypothesis testing and discovery.
      Constructivism examines that things are not taught but learned and how the leaners build learning.

Critical theory discusses the process of interaction, social interactions, and self-authoring of their own world.

While reading this, I subscribed to a bit of everything because I use similar narratives in my processes to code principles, beliefs, and skills into my Operating System as me.

Barbara Bujtás
      Participant

a)
      My choice is Shelly Terrel’s Animate Your Course Book with Engaging Activities https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/blogs/shelly-terrell/animate-your-course-book-engaging-activities

My starting point is that Teens these days find coursebooks frustratingly irrelevant, it’s not easy to engage in the topics and the content coursebooks offer.

The article offers a number of ways and digital creation tools that may give a little life to the coursebook and help them have ownership of their learning via getting closer to the topics through creative ways that involve many kinds of activities ways to increase engagement.

b)
      Some of the leading names are Phil Benson, Peter Voller, David Little, Icy Lee.

Masatoshi Shoji
      Participant

(a) I chose “Fifteen ways to adapt your textbook so your students aren’t bored to death
      The reason why I chose this article was that I wanted to know how to adapt textbook effectively into the classroom.
      According to the author, “teachers can modify to meet the needs and interests of their students.”

(b) Cem Balçıkanlı

Phil Benson

David Little

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Content © iTDi TESOL. All rights reserved.