Home Forums Self-publishing for ELT Professionals General Discussion, questions, and announcements

General Discussion, questions, and announcements

Back to course
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Post here if you have questions that weren’t answered in our live sessions, or if you want to find a writing buddy in your time zone for ‘sprints’, or anything else that doesn’t fit in our other forum topics.

Kevin Ryan
      Participant

Just a suggestion about typing in this Editing Window online. It can “eat” your text when you push the Submit. I have gotten an error message twice and lost my work. Much better if you compose your messages in a text editor, then copy and paste. Or at least make sure you have copied your message to your clipboard so you can try again if you get an error message.

Thanks, Kevin! This is still a pretty new platform for us, so appreciate the feedback. Sounds like good advice to copy before hitting submit.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that when people do write their post first (like in word) and paste it here, sometimes the formatting becomes visible. Best to copy/paste plain text.

Deborah Kellermann
        Participant

Thanks for the warning!

Shi Min (Eunice)
      Participant

Hello. Since I won’t be able to catch any of the live sessions as I am teaching at school at 11am Malaysia time on Sundays, please allow me to make use of this space to clear some of my doubts that I won’t be able to ask during live sessions.

1. The workbook that I am producing has many images and links that I don’t own the copyright. May I ask if I can provide the shortened links generated by bitly.com or QR Code for the links as credits to the original source?

2. Dorothy mentioned something about not being able to control how much we can put into one page if we publish the book in the format of ebook. If I compress the content, let’s say grammar notes in my workbook into a powerpoint slide and save it as a picture to make sure the layout is fixed as a page, would that work for ebook?

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

Hi Shi Min, no problem only watching the recordings later–time zones and teaching schedules are what they are!

1) You cannot post images that you don’t have permission for, even if you credit them. You’d have to write to the copyright holder and ask for permission. But you CAN have links to other websites or YouTube or places like that. Since from an ebook you can just click on a link, most readers prefer not to see shortened links because they don’t know where it’s going. In a paperback, I sometimes shorten links because nobody is going to type out 400 letters and numbers in some weird web address, but I make sure I say where it’s going.

2. You could make your information into an image and then it will stay like that in ebook… BUT, then you’re losing the advantages of an ebook. Suppose your image is readable on my laptop, but it’s tiny tiny on my phone–then I can’t read it. Remember that with ebooks, the reader gets to decide how large the font is and what sort of device to read it on. You can have hard page breaks, though, if that helps!

In class this coming week, you’ll be taking your material, making it into an ebook, and testing it out, so you’ll also be able to experiment. Instead of a powerpoint slide, take what you want to be an image and just take a screenshot of it and insert it that way. (We’re actually not doing images until week 3, though.) But I’d suggest first seeing if there’s some way you could be comfortable with letting ebook pages flow more freely. You could post your information in our Week 2 discussion and ask people what they think–do elements x and y have to be on the same page? something like that.

Shi Min (Eunice)
        Participant

Thank you so much, Dorothy! That’s really helpful. 🙂

DOROTHY ZEMACH
      Participant

A nice blog post I stumbled across on resilience. It’s not really about making your writing more resilient, it’s about making YOU more resilient. How do you respond to deadlines and workloads and setbacks and so on? I think a lot of us are sensitive to those sorts of things because we’re driven people and we tend to be perfectionists. Those aren’t necessarily bad things–I’d rather feel a commitment to quality than not give a damn–but we can be hard on ourselves when we fall short. And that’s not helpful.

When you’re self-publishing, your only boss is you. May your boss be a kind one. 🙂

https://www.publicationcoach.com/9-ways-to-make-your-writing-more-resilient/

Deborah Kellermann
      Participant

Hello, Barb and Dorothy,

I do not remember how to attach my cover design page (I made my own) to my word doc before uploading as a google doc! Do I just send the cover (pdf) as one google doc and the document with jpegs inserted as a second document??

Thanks.

Debbie Kellermann

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

Debbie, don’t attach it! Your cover file will be uploaded separately. You’ll need it as a jpeg. For critiquing, don’t worry about uploading it yet, because we’ll be taking about covers and uploading those next week. For formatting this week, it depends what program you’re using. For Draft2Digital or Smashwords, upload separately as a jpeg. For Calibre, import separately, again as a jpeg. Amazon will have you upload it separatel.

Deborah Kellermann
        Participant

Dorothy, Thank you!

Deborah Kellermann
        Participant

Dorothy, Thank you!

Kevin Ryan
      Participant

An Op-ed about scammers and ebooks. Probably overblown, but we can’t know because Amazon does not publish figures about this. Just be careful out there.

DOROTHY ZEMACH
      Participant

Oh heck yes, there are scammers all over. Amazon is hit hard, of course, because they’re so big. But Google Play was completely closed to new indie authors for YEARS because they were unable stop the scamming and piracy. I believe they’ve just opened again, though. Apple gets a lot of scammers who just duplicate best-selling books and list them as their own. David Gaughran’s blog and Twitter feed feature a number of Amazon scams.

Most of those involve fiction, though. We in ELT are more targeted by teachers, who photocopy our books and pass around .pds. There are Facebook groups for this with over 60,000 teachers in them.

Rebecca Valdovinos
      Participant

Hi Dorothy,
      I created a new Linguistic Chart for my Chapter 1. I saved it as a pdf but now I don’t know how to insert it? Here’s the link.
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/178A0oc4nmt9YwN8QbUWiDMwFl8mMKCbQ/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

DOROTHY ZEMACH
        Participant

Remember that charts have to be imported as images. See if you can save it as a .jpeg; if not, take a screenshot and use that image.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Content © iTDi TESOL. All rights reserved.