Home Forums iTDi TESOL Certificate 5.3.3.7 Reflecting on teaching / self-evaluation

5.3.3.7 Reflecting on teaching / self-evaluation

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

communityadmin
      Keymaster

What steps have you yourself taken to become a more reflective teacher?

What steps would you LIKE to take?

Post your ideas in a reply below and comment on other teachers’ ideas.

Rhett Burton
      Participant

I enrolled in this course and completed, to my knowledge, all forum tasks, and TDV videos. I dedicated significant amounts of time to discuss, write about, timestamp, and reflect upon my teaching process.

Presenting: I have been actively seeking answers to questions and presenting my findings at conferences around Korea.

I am curating articles by saving links into a document.

I would like to systematically implement more TESOL theory into my course materials so that I can enhance my teaching and the student journey.

I would like to document these processes. Bonus if I can learn to become a better researcher and writer.

I would like to overcome some of the fears I have about being qualified to do the type of work that I do (as a self-appointed curriculum designer, teacher, and principal of my school.)

I would like to work with like-minded people who share the same vision as I do.

scott gray
        Participant

Think you have hit most of these out of the park Rhett. I don’t see you having any fear and think you are more qualified then you think you are.

Keep doing what you do as you did in this course and you will get there buddy. See you in the next tutorial.

Rhett – it’s great to revisit your answers from just over a year ago and see the follow-up steps that you have in fact taken, furthering the professional development you’ve committed yourself to together with the outcomes for your students!

Barbara Bujtás
      Participant

Steps I have taken:
      As a part of this course, I’ve made it comfortable for my students and myself to video record the lessons.
      I make decisions and experiment with new or different things as a result of what became clear from the recordings.

Things I’d like to implement:
      Regular video recordings with time-stamping Rhett-style (the kind of details)
      Journals
      Transcribing lessons
      Polls and questionnaires (feedback from learners)
      Occasionally, I’d like to involve some teacher friends, just to check shorter transcriptions of recordings of lessons.
      I’d like to have a list of reflective questions, as a checklist.

Masatoshi Shoji
      Participant

In this course, I’ve learned how to observe and reflect on what I did in the classroom.
      This is not limited to teaching. I believe experiencing many things is really essential to be a thoughtful/reflective person.

I would to like to try experimental things. However, I really need to have a basic format of the class first and learn more.
      These days, every subject should be connected more. Language learning is not just remembering and practicing a language but requiring outer knowledge both for teachers and students.

Reflecting on your own teaching, observing classes – both your own and other teachers, experimenting and discussing our teaching are all important tools for professional self-development. It’s also invaluable to write a teaching journal with reflections on your lessons while they’re still fresh.

In addition, to help triangulate our information and further inform our perspective, learner journals and feedback via questionnaires, surveys and interviews are crucial to further help us ‘mind the gap’ between (a) what we believe, think or feel, and (b) what our students believe, think or feel.

These are all typically used in action research (AR) to investigate, learn from, and improve teaching and learning in our own classes. Here are 2 good starting points to learn more about AR:

1. “Action Research” (Teaching English – British Council)
      https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/action-research

2. “Action research: how it can help your EFL classroom” (OUP ELT Global Blog)

Action research: how it can help your EFL classroom

scott gray
      Participant

One step is taking this course to refresh and find what I have ‘let drop out of my teaching’ and make sure what I am doing is going where the research points are the most effective. I also try to attend lots of online webinars, seminars, and free training.  Others are from some teachers like John Fanselow, who pushed us to video our classes and go over them with our fellow teachers.

Keep doing what I am doing and more if I can. Maybe incorporate writing a journal of my classes. Keep coming to iTDi as this fulfills a lot of these.

Highlighting what you’ve shared during tutorials and elsewhere, it’s noteworthy to see you return to two key things that seem to recur with very experienced teachers who dedicate themselves to ongoing professional development – the need to refresh as well as (re-)examine in order to refine what we do whilst seeking new challenges:

“We rise to great heights by a winding staircase of small steps.”
        – Francis Bacon

Rhett Burton
        Participant

“Where the research points.”
        I like this because it provides a direction instead of a destination. Research is generally moving our teaching forward in ways that lead to progress. Reflection and continued development help guide our thoughts and plans.

Rhett Burton
      Participant

Connecting Dots
      iTDi’s TESOL course was the first certificate program for me. It provided me a structured framework for devoting my thoughts and energy. The first time I took the course, I was busy mapping out the content and expectations. The second time, I was more about linking the concepts to how I do (or not) apply certain SLA concepts to my teaching. I also found myself starting to lean to justification and referencing what I do based on what others have learned. I will continue to move down a path that allows me to identify and define what I am doing on SLA concepts. I want to spend 2021 getting very specific on how I can become effective using exercises, activities, and tasks for my level 2 content.

It’s rewarding to see the progression and changes of approach from one year to the next as you increasingly look at the why as well as how in your teaching and curriculum development.

As we move towards more classroom practices based on research and draw on research that is based on classroom practices, whilst adapting to local contexts, we further improve our teaching and, ultimately, our students’ learning outcomes.

Jessica Sohn
      Participant

Through this iTDi’s TESOL course I’ve trained myself to get comfortable with recording the class. It has been real good training to self-evaluate and get peer observations too. It has helped me to think where and what I can change my plannings and try my lessons again.

Continue video/audio recordings.
      Keep a journal.
      Never stop reflection and self-evaluation.
      Polls and Questionnaries.(Student reflections)
      Regular peer observation.

You’ve put a tremendous amount into developing as a teacher over the year, preparing materials, activities, and lessons, then reflecting, learning, and growing in leaps and bounds – something we’ve all enjoyed seeing and being a part of.

We would definitely encourage you to keep up the habit of recording and reflecting regularly with videos and journals. Collaborating with colleagues to conduct peer-observation can also be extremely valuable.

Further obtaining feedback from students both indirectly (e.g. through student learning journals) and directly (e.g. through questionnaires and surveys) are also key to triangulating our data, being more objective, and seeing if there are any perception gaps.

“The only way that we can live, is if we grow. The only way that we can grow is if we change. The only way that we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we can become exposed is if we throw ourselves out into the open. Do it. Throw yourself.”
        – C. Joybell C.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Content © iTDi TESOL. All rights reserved.