Home Forums iTDi TESOL Certificate 3.1.1.3 Focus on sounds – pronunciation problems in my country

3.1.1.3 Focus on sounds – pronunciation problems in my country

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

communityadmin
      Keymaster

People with different language backgrounds often have different pronunciation problems. Think about learners in your own country, or a country you know. What pronunciation problems do they have?

Reply below with your observations. Comment on other teachers’ posts.

Steven Herder
      Keymaster

In Japan, there are a set of common pronunciation problems including L/R, B/V, Shi/Si, Th, and more.

A significant reason for the problems with pronunciation is that many Japanese never hear a variety of languages or non-Japanese sounds in their youth. It is said that we can easily mimic the sounds we hear up until the age of 2 years old. I often tell students this and suggest that if they ever have children, they sound make sure that their young children hear a variety of sounds when they are babies.

One other thing that has long confounded the problem in Japan has been to use the Japanese phonetic alphabet to (often mis)represent English pronunciation. So, for example, It’s a lovely day! Might be represented as follows

It’s       a      lovely   day!

イッツ    ア ラブリー デイ (but often with no spaces, as per the album name)

ITTSU   A     RABURI-   DEI and with the l/r and b/v challenges Steve mentioned, lovely can often sound more like rubbery.

(The other key difference is that Japanese is syllable-time and not a stress-timed language like English, as discussed in the next lessons.)

Barbara Bujtás
      Participant

*Hungarian is a syllable-timed language, the word stress is always on the first syllable, so we tend to have problems with word stress. (Also, it makes listening slightly more difficult, namely finding word boundaries. We expect the break between two words before the stressed syllable.)
      *Diphthongs are also a bother, we use diphthongs largely in regional dialects, but those are not considered to be nice.)
      *The usual th thing

It’s interesting to see the various similarities and differences between 1st languages and the issues that learners have with English.

Rhett Burton
      Participant

I live in work in Korea. My students need a lot of extra practice between b/v/p and r/l.

Masatoshi Shoji
      Participant

l/r, th, f, v, etc.

Yes, those are some of the main consonant sounds that Japanese learners typically have trouble with. What other pronunciation challenges are there?

Jessica Sohn
      Participant

In Korea, I find many kids having problems with r/l, b/v, p/f, th and more. Very similar to problems in Japan.
      I feel it’s very difficult for Koreans because it’s such a different language.(The sounds of alphabets, the use of body to make the sound, the use of the mouth, tongue settings are just distinct.)

Just wondering also if p/b is an issue after I saw some references to Pusan and other to Busan (after the name change in 2000).

Rhett Burton
      Participant

I live in work in Korea. My students need a lot of extra practice between b/v/p and r/l. Students will benefit from learning how to move the tongue. These days, because we are always wearing masks, I am wondering how I can train the tongue while wearing a mask. To be honest, I sometimes remove my mask for brief periods of times when I can hear corrective feedback is required.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Rhett Burton.

Yes, kids really need to see the mouth and tongue position for pronunciation. Posters/Images and/or videos would seem like a good alternative.

FYI I’ve seen teachers switching to face shields although it doesn’t seem to offer much protection on its own, unfortunately, but less of an issue if combined with 2m+ social distancing.

Rhett Burton
      Participant

I like the phonics song to anchor students’ ears to sounds to words.

The song is easy to remember.  Once the students know the words then you can start to bring their attention to subtle differences in the way they are produced. Lots of ear and tongue practice.

Nice video, Rhett. Parents can enjoy listening to it, too 😉

scott gray
        Participant

Nice and gentle. Love that the parents can be the ones to introduce this to their kids and not the teacher. Then it can just build better rapport.

English Central offer 37 videos with pronunciation tips in the following playlist:

scott gray
        Participant

In addition to English Central there are some good apps that let the students see the mouth and movement of the parts while they make the sound. But yeah great to use more senses!

Please share any specific apps you’d recommend. Thanks!

scott gray
        Participant

Now that my kid isn’t using the iPad and it’s not 3 am, Speech Tutor is a paid app that I find it quite nice to let them see how the sound is made. It has a computer-animated head that you can see all the articulators move while you hear the sound. You can also record yourself from your iPad and listen to your sounds. It also will turn on a small video window to act as a mirror while you watch and follow along. I will show it tonight. It was made for speech therapists and you can also switch from front view to side view and show in 3 speeds.

I will also find the homepage for the website that has a chart that they can push to hear each morpheme. But finally have time to work on my written assignment. Doctor visits so much fun.

scott gray
      Participant

I think the main problems they have is learning a stress-based language versus a syllable based language. There are sound problems with sounds that they don’t have in their L1 but I find that the above is the biggest hurdle the students face.

scott gray
      Participant

One online phonemic chart that has British and American versions accessible online.
      http://www.phonemicchart.com/
      Color Vowel Chart with sample words and sounds, may be under resources but one pops up here on my browser at the following address. The Blue Canoe app is free right now if you register.

Home

Sorry have to run to store but write more later.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Content © iTDi TESOL. All rights reserved.