Home Forums iTDi TESOL Certificate 2.3.3.9 Using authentic video in class

2.3.3.9 Using authentic video in class

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

communityadmin
      Keymaster

What do you think we could do with video clips to teach vocabulary?

You could use clips with sound or without. Think of two suggestions and reply below with your answers. Comment on other teachers’ ideas.

Rhett Burton
      Participant

Unit 3 – lesson 3

One thing that I think needs to be given more attention is suggestopedia and music. Provide opportunities for the students to passively listen to music, and you’ll see a return in active usage of the music.

Bonus if you can track the likes of your students by listening to see which songs when lead/triggers.
      Note: People love songs, but people all have different tastes. By providing a variety of music for student to listen to, you can cater to your student’s likes of music.

Video Song 1: What do you see?
      The patterns and rhythm are very catchy. My students always pick up the language while doing puzzles, drawing, or block play.

Video Song 2: Grade the Task
      Authentic videos are great at setting the context. You can create a reader that will help students link songs they’ve heard to the language they are reading.

Example: Go Away scary Monster.
      You can put the song into your lessons. We can change some of the vocabulary to match our themes. I wrote a reader for the Three Pigs. The pigs say,” Go away big bad wolf, go away,” which come from the insanely popular Super Simple Songs youtube channel.

Thanks, Rhett. I agree it’s great to explore video songs with young learners, and Super Simple Songs/Learning, for example, is a fantastic resource both for EFL and ESL kids.

Whilst I’m also surprised by what my kids sometimes pick up seemingly randomly, I wonder how we can consistently measure the effectiveness of incidental vocabulary learning from BGM videos? And to what extent might they be distracting from another task?

Although it takes time to create good materials, I also like your idea to have (graded) readers that link to songs. I wonder if anyone has done this already. In a similar way, there are channels dedicated to bedtime stories animated and read with subtitles.

Rhett Burton
        Participant

Each year, I change a few images within my content to link to a specific song. I haven’t dared to create custom content for all the songs, but I have written down and curated the main lyrics for my students to read before or after listening to the music. One curation strategy I have is to write a short description of why I choose the song for my curriculum and some of the topics and language used in the music. By doing this, I have gained a lot of insight into many of the words that I thought were incidental but have been very regular placed through the curation process.

scott gray
        Participant

Love the suggestopedia ideas and chances for kids to play with the language. I love the catchy nature of songs and things that stick with you. My balony has a first name, it’s O….. Things like that. Also what about gross songs? Do you have any for the kids? I know at camp and boy scouts they were known by everyone even if it wasn’t your cup of tea. Do you plan on introducing things you may not care for but the kids may love? I wonder as I used to use a short bit from the little mermaid, Under the sea video that kids would try to sing with that was good for pronunciation. Probably on youtube now.

Do you have your kids try to make their own verses or change the lyrics? My suggestion would be see what the creative kids will do. I am usually surprised with what they get done.

Rhett Burton
        Participant

I love it when students start to use rhythms that they have learned to make new songs. These days I hear quite often with my youngest boy (Rohnan).
        There is a song called ” Go Away!” My students like to adapt the song to me. “Go away, scary Teacher, go away!”
        I have been going through my songs, and I want to start to plan more tasks and activities to make them more personalized. We will see what happens in 2021.

Absolutely! I really like how you’ve integrated so many songs thoughtfully into your courses and look forward to seeing how you take this to the next stage heading into 2021!

Barbara Bujtás
      Participant

Sometimes I chose a video clip and before showing it, I tell the story (videotelling). While explaining the video, I incorporate new words, I write them on the board as I talk (present them), scattered around. While they are watching the video for the second time, they write down the words in order of appearance.

I play a short video that contains target words or phrases. I prepare two versions of the script, one with the original phrases, one with their easier or already known synonyms. Students then can decide which one was the original, then compare the two.

Nice activities, Barbi, and easy to replicate in most classes.

If students have trouble writing the words down, they can alternatively just number them, or sequence prepared word cards that can even be made simply in a quick dictation activity.

The synonyms activity is also especially helpful for students taking exams like IELTS, TOEIC, etc that test this type of knowledge in listening sections.

Masatoshi Shoji
      Participant

Some proper nouns can be easily learned if there is a short video clip of the noun.
      Some subjects for discussion such as air pollution, communities, atomic bomb, etc. can be easily understood after watching a short concise video clip.

Ask previewing questions, whileviewing questions and afterviewing questions.

Good examples of topics that videos can show. Videos are particularly good for showing processes, complex relationships, and things that might be unfamiliar, such as foreign cultures, customs, and places.

How would you use video clips with the sound (a) on then off, or (b) off then on?

In addition to questions, it’s good to think of the types of linked skills tasks that students can do before, during, and after.

scott gray
      Participant

I think GIFs as Phil showed me or really short videos have a great chance to get in some good vocabulary learning.
      I think that short clips with sentences to choose from that give more context and collocations that often come together would be really useful.
      Another way to have some fun would be to use a short section of a film, about 20 seconds or so. The students watch it and have to mime it out another group of kids. The kids try to come up with the vocabulary from the first clip or what they think it is. Then we all watch the original video and discuss.

Love the idea of introducing mime. A variation of this might be to put students in groups of 4-6 (for videos with 2-3 characters).Choose a 2-4 min video then divide it into 4 segments

1. Conduct various language activities before/during/after the 1st segment.

2. Split the group in two. Half of them group watch the 2nd segment whilst half of them watch the 3rd segment. They then prepare mimes for each other as you said.

3. Students watch the 2nd and 3rd segments to compare with their mimes.

4. Conduct various activities for the 4th (final) segment.

Rhett Burton
        Participant

I have played with a GIF creator (https://giphy.com).

They are very contextual and you can find great references to almost anything.

I haven’t used these mini clips too much because I don’t think have any background knowledge of the scenes.

Yes, GIFs are something I’ve only recently started to use and are great.

With mini-clips, I’ve not worried too much about background knowledge so long as they have some kind of reference point from their life experience and the language they need to complete the relevant task is within their reach.

Jessica Sohn
        Participant

Sounds interesting! I want to try these with my reading class (vocabulary).

Rhett Burton
      Participant

Eye tracking

These days I am interested in making little reading videos that has the students track the movement of my pointer as they learn to read. It could scaffold strategies used for decoding words. I could also have a set of images. So after I decode the word, I can find the best image to describe the meaning.

Sounds interesting. Some websites and videos do something similar with words lighting up, for example. With the option to vary the playback speed on Youtube, I can see more possibilities now, too.

Incidentally, you might be interested to see what Paul Raine has been doing over at EFL Digital:
        https://teachertools.digital/

Jessica Sohn
      Participant

I would love using a video for teaching vocabulary.

So for my intermediate students.
      I think I will use a relevant short clip which lines up with their reading.
      ex) If the text this week is about sea animals. I will find short clips that has 80% of the vocab in it.
      And rather choose no audio and introduce it once with no pause. And then will pause at the points where I want to expose the vocabulary.

And for my YLs.
      I will choose a short clip with sounds.
      So if I’m going through numbers or any set of vocab.
      I will try to use a song from YouTube and combine it in the lesson.

Good ideas, Jessica, and I’m sure the students will love having video. Good to break up the lesson with, too.

One challenge, I often face is finding clips to match vocabulary, as opposed to finding clips then looking at the vocabulary that is in it. Any thoughts on how to minimise your search/prep time?

With young learners, it tends to be easier in a way due to the number of excellent channels already available. My main source for years has been Super Simple Songs/Learning: https://supersimple.com/

Naoko Amano

I would like to share my lesson I did the recently.
      There is a short story about national French toast day in USA.
      A boy made French toast at his cooking class. Students learned past tense, how to make French toast. After they read the story and finish the comprehension questions, I asked them “ Do you like french toast?” “ Can you make French toast?” and so on.
      Then, I told them “ You are going to watch a video about how to make French Toast. Please find the difference of the way of making it and any difference of ingredients.
      After they learned about difference, I played the video again with subtitles.
      Then I explain about how to scale the ingredients.
      for example, pinch of salt, ~cups of milk, a teaspoon of vinella extract and so on.
      Lastly, I asked them “ Which French toast do you like?” Do you want to make it?

As then knew a little about French Toast, they did not feel the video was difficult. They could catch some words and also they noticed some new vocabularies. It was great lesson and I hope they enjoyed it.

The link of that youtube channel

Story about the French Toast Day

What a great-sounding lesson, Naoko! Thank you for sharing all that.

Cooking is always a great way to bring people together, too, and can expand into a whole series of lesson with students sharing favourite recipes, and even cooking together and making their own videos! Plus my favourite part … eating! Oh, and that reminds me – have you ever tried blindfold eating or food tasting? My JHS and YLs back in Japan also loved doing that!

If learners have trouble catching the audio, it’s also good to show them that they can click on the “Settings” icon and adjust the playback speed.

By the way, is the textbook page from Let’s Go! and if so, can you share which one?

Rhett Burton
      Participant

We can use images to create videos. In this video, my son and I move digital assets to make up dialogues and make simple movies. I do want to do this with my students more. I have started, but I need to do it more often to make it a better study habit. Always a work in progress.

Great stuff – scary, cute, and funny! Lots of great opportunities for spontaneous as well as planned speech, plus is something that students can be proud of and get to ‘take home’ and share.

How is the pre- and post-production time for you? I’ve done a number of video projects with students and they’re really worthwhile but also tend to demand a lot of my time so I limit the number I do with students per course, semester or year.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Content © iTDi TESOL. All rights reserved.