Home Forums iTDi TESOL Certificate 2.2.3.9 Checking understanding (grammar)

2.2.3.9 Checking understanding (grammar)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

communityadmin
      Keymaster

Imagine you have to teach one of the following structures. How would you present the meaning of it? How would you check that the students had understood the meaning?

• should’ve done (as in ‘she should’ve been careful’)
      • get used to (as in ‘I´m getting used to the noise’)

Choose one of these structures. Write your ideas on how to present the meaning and check understanding in a reply below.

Barbara Bujtás
      Participant

get used to

I would tell a story:
      I have a new phone now. It is different from my old one.
      For example, my old phone woke up when I pushed a button, my new phone wakes up with the button plus face recognition or pattern code. I find id difficult and frustrating, but I’m getting used to it. I’m also getting used to its size, as it’s slightly bigger than my old phone. I also have to get used to the ringtone. The other day I was in a crowded shop, my phone was ringing, but I thought it was someone else’s phone. It is difficult to recognize. But I’m getting used to it.

I’m getting used to it.

CCQ:
      Is it difficult and frustrating now?
      Do I think it will be easier and less frustrating in the future?

• I like the personal narrative which you can adjust the language to suit your learners to help ensure comprehensible input.
        • What other CCQs can you use that does not contain a potentially more difficult word (e.g. frustrating)?
        • Other than using the dictionary definition to help create CCQs, I find Murphy’s English Grammar in Use helpful when I can’t think of something quickly.

Rhett Burton
      Participant

A weakness or a strength – I am not really sure when I know for certain when my students have fully aquired the meaning of a certain point. I kind of feel naive for thinking that I knew everything when I was 20.

That being said, I do look for cues that students can infer some meaning and have experience a situtation that allows for the grammar/pattern to emerge from.

Example of how I might teach it to a1 – a2 students

I do teach ‘get used to’ through expereince, But I do it through skills and senses.

Here is candy.
      What is it?
      It is candy.
      What color?
      It is green.
      Yummy.
      I want to eat.
      Yucky… sour. sour apple.
      //continue to eat… mm
      but ok.
      yummy.
      First sour.
      and then ok.
      Yes, we get used to it.
      First is yucky.
      Then it is yummy.
      We change. We get used to it.

I would grade the activity differently for each level that I taught. I would have my students experience something very similiar through a medium that they have used/have experience with.

Concept checking questions not only help students understand new vocabulary and grammar but also give us a clearer understanding of what they do or don’t understand. (This is different from knowing when students have fully acquired something since, for example, displaying understanding at one point in time may be followed by forgetting and/or confusion at a later stage.)

In the example here, you offer a good illustration of how you teach or present ‘get used to’ in context. As you’ve rightly noted in discussions elsewhere and we’ve looked at in Module 1, learning takes place over time and students invariably need multiple exposures to new vocabulary/structures in different contexts over time for it to be acquired. That said, we can present them with multiple examples and usages, and increase the amount of recycling in class. Before that, however, to see if or how much your students have understood the meaning of ‘get used to’ in your example above, what concept check questions could you add?

Masatoshi Shoji
      Participant

It’s a good story to share to introduce “get used to.”

Masatoshi Shoji
      Participant

get used to (as in ‘I´m getting used to the noise’)
      I was living in a country side.
      I was living in a quiet place.
      3 years, I moved to Tokyo.
      It was so noisy.
      But, after some days passed, I got used to the noise in Tokyo.

1. Did she feel noisy in Tokyo when she move? Why?

Due to COVID 19 pandemic, I am getting used to online class.
      Did you have online class before?
      Do you feel better with your online class compared with the beginning?

These are both very relatable examples for your students and your concept checking questions are getting much better. Indeed, I think you’re getting used to this, too!

Example 1
        I would also (a) add the word first for clarity, and also use words that are not contained directly in the text:

1. When I first moved to Tokyo, did I feel ok about the noise?
        2. Did the noise stop disturbing/bothering/annoying me? When?

scott gray
      Participant

Get used to ….

I would go over a story about living in Japan.
      I would talk about how when I grew up in NY I never thought about having to hit my head walking through a doorway on on a bus or train. But how when I walk through the train my head hits the handholds or every ad hanging down and sometimes how I bump my head on the doorway.
      Some CCQs I would use:
      Did I use to duck when walking through doors?
      Did I use to hit my head when walking through doors?
      Do I think of ducking when walking through doors?
      Does my head brush up against handholds or ads on trains and buses?
      Do I get angry walking through doorways now?

I like this comparison of your past life in NY and life now in Japan. These work well for used to and can also work well for the different  things you’ve had to get used to since living in Japan.

However, I would be wary of students confusing the two structures unless they’ve previously studied both of them and gained a clear understanding of each.

That said, I realise that you may just have misinterpretted the question.

Rhett Burton
      Participant

should’ve done

I have been thinking about this including “should have” into my lessons these day.

I am thinking of including it via a “Choose your Own Adventure” structure.

Context- Neven Goes into Spider Forest. He sees spiders everywhere.

What should he do?

a. run through the forest. He isn’t fast enough. He gets bitten and dies. He shouldn’t have run through spider forest yet. “What should he have done?”

b. fight the spiders with his sword. The spiders are too small to hit. He gets bitten and dies. He shouldn’t have fought the spiders with hi sword.”What should he have done?”

c. Open up his jar of flies. The flies get stuck in the spiders’ webs. Neven walks slowly through the forest without the spiders attacking.

The students would see the consequences of their choices as the character progress through the challenge.

Ask CCQ:

Is running a good solution? No, he dies. He shouldn’t have run through the forest.

Does he fight his way through the spiders? No, he dies. He shouldn’t have fought the spiders.

Good idea to use Choose Your Own Adventure or multipath stories – kids love them!

For the choices, you’ll need to add the stem or have the students add the stem Should he

What challenges do you think they might have with tense (dis)agreement? How might you help them clarify their understanding?

Rhett Burton
        Participant

I couldn’t agree with including the stem “Should he…” more. So, I should consider how I was modeling this process before including the pattern in the task. It is easy to model when you play games with multiple choices. In UNO, children are constantly debating whether they want to play different cards. “Should I play the green card on the green card, or should I play the yellow 4 on the green 4. As an observer, I can suggest and model these patterns. These examples can be modeled with almost any activity if a teacher provides students with a choice.

There’s another teacher here in Malaysia and from the iTDi Community that focuses on teaching children storytelling and public speaking. Recently, she shared what she’s been doing with “Choose Your Oww Destiny” stories.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/ratnavathy-ragunathan_the-crystal-gem-by-sadhana-shruthi-shivananthan-activity-6805622248112836608-Vvhu

By chance, I’ve also been using multipath readers and from writing some alternative endings, a couple of students this month are making their first stories, too. I wrote my first one when I was about 10 years old after reading so many … but really benefitted from this blog to help students through the process, too: https://www.mrspriestleyict.com/blog/choose-your-own-adventure-template#/

Jessica Sohn
      Participant

should’ve done (as in ‘she should’ve been careful’)
      I would make up a short story about an art class at school.
      (go through it with showing pictures to make it a bit more interesting and easy to follow)

A girl had a BIG project due yesterday: to make/build a Eiffel tower.
      At 10:00 PM she started her project.
      She got all her materials on her desk and started to make a BIG tower.
      She had boxes, glitter, glue, tape and everything just everywhere.
      It was all perfect until she started to use scissors.
      She rushed and was almost done in an hour. She was cutting, gluing, and cutting so fast.
      But suddenly, red drops started to fall on her tower. And so, she turned in her red Eiffel tower.
      And Ms.Sohn said: You should’ve been careful using your materials.
      You should’ve have listened to your _______.

Some CCQs I would use:
      1. Does the girl feel good or bad about her tower?
      2. Does the girl …………..?

A very relatable, detailed story and excellent to review items of stationery, too, for example, and/or started to ~.

However, if my focus, primarily on a new structure, (as much as I liked your story) it’d probably be more effective to have a couple of shorter stories or situations.

Review some of the previous posts to see what other concept check questions you need for should’ve (done).

Naoko Amano

I prepare three pictures and tell a short story for each picture.

1. It was sunny in the morning.
      2. The weather forecast said it would be rain in the afternoon. So mom told the boy to bring his umbrella to school.
      3. It was raining when school finished and he went home without umbrella.

Then, I am going to ask students some questions.
      1. How was the weather in the morning?
      2. How was the weather in the afternoon?
      3. Did he know it was going to rain?
      4. Does he have an umbrella after school?
      5. Was it a good decision or bad decision to leave his umbrella at school?

Students might say, He made a bad decision.. he should have brought his umbrella.. in their own language,,

Then, I am going to ask them
      Do you know the word “regret”? and explain about “regret” means “koukai suru” We REGRET something when we make a bad decision.

Then, I am going to write and tell them the expression and grammar point.

“He should have brought his umbrella.”

After that, I ask students to talk about their “regrets” in a group. Then they will draw pictures and write sentences with using “should have done”.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Content © iTDi TESOL. All rights reserved.