Home Forums iTDi TESOL Certificate 2.2.2.9 Reading tasks

2.2.2.9 Reading tasks

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

communityadmin
      Keymaster

In Activity 2 of this lesson, Scott said ‘Rather than grade the text, we can grade the task.’

• What do you think he means?
      • Can you give an example?

Rhett Burton
      Participant

My understanding of grading the text means that teachers assess what the students have learned about the text’s meaning—teaching for comprehension of the text (source material) alone.
      Example: How many turtles died? Was the turtle rescued?
      Grade the task is when the teacher observes, assesses, and grades the interactions/results of the language learning tasks assigned to the text (or other source material). This allows for a wide array of assessments and more specific awareness of what the students can achieve with the language.
      Example: How well did the student perform during the story play task? Did they generate their own language? Do they need more input, modeling, etc? How much L1 did they use during the job? Did you recall any specific grammatic patterns? What will help the student become more successful at this task?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Rhett Burton.

Hi Rhett. Just to clarify, I don’t think grading the task is meant in terms of assessment but the level of challenge that the task presents for the students. Please revisit Scott’s video (and/or video script) in 2.2.2.2.

By the way, in your lesson plan posted to the forum in Lesson Activity 2.2.1.8, your reading tasks are good examples of graded tasks with Task 1 being very easy and Task 3 being a little more challenging.

Barbara Bujtás
      Participant

Grading the text would be analyzing the text and deciding if the level (vocabulary and the complexity of structures, length of the sentences) Is suitable for our students.

Grading the task is more the thing that can be done with a text.

For example, the script of a video with quite easy or even a limited amount of language (e.g. Mr. Bean) can be exploited with high-level students, both language- and skills-wise.
      Also an authentic text can be used with elementary-level students, if the task is easy (e.g. scanning tasks)

Masatoshi Shoji
      Participant

Grading the text is like to assess if students understood the text in terms of the whole concept.
      However, grading the task means to assess each task, understanding the gist, understanding the details, understanding the grammar, ability to utilize what they learned, etc. In other words, individual activity or skill is graded.

scott gray
      Participant

Grading the Text is more of assessing What level of vocabulary and grammar are in the text and what would the learners need to understand it.

Grading the task is more of adjusting how we do things so the students can have use of a text. It is adjusting the challenge of what you ask them to do with the text.

For example, In a story of Lewis and Clark going across America. What vocabulary and grammar forms are in the text and what students would need to know to understand the text would be grading the text.

Grading the task would be after reading the story, one task could be graded as to just draw a line with dots showing how Lewis and Clark traveled across America. Another might be to write a list of the supplies they needed. Adjusting the task to the student’s level so they can use the text purposefully.

Rhett Burton
      Participant

“Grading the Task” is a strategy to lower the cognitive load of a task when presenting the materials. We can break the task into smaller, more focused/ specific aspects and then gradually expand on the task as learners are more aware of the context and expectations of what is required.

Example
      Playing UNO
      Final expectations might be to play UNO with a variety of functional language: expressing likes, wants, haves, turn-taking, rule explanations, etc.
      However, if we start with everything on the table, it will require too much presenting of materials and not enough practicing and producing language. So, by grading the task, you can gradually expose the students to more keywords, patterns, and functions as they become more confident with the materials.

Another good example, Rhett, is where you graded the tasks to work with the article, “Tortoise sparks flat blaze”: https://itdi.pro/community/forums/topic/2-2-1-8-using-a-text-in-class/

Incidentally, IF you wanted to grade the text (for example, because it is much too difficult for your students), how would you do it?

Rhett Burton
        Participant

I might co-create materials that use a combination of student/ teacher input to illustrate what the “Tortoise sparks flat blaze” is about. Students draw a three-part story based on the text that I had the student highlight when reading for gist. I could make it into a comic book where students could narrate the character’s speech bubbles in their own words.

Great activity ideas, Rhett, and another good way to grade the task to match your students’ language abilities.

To grade the text, I use an online graded text-edit to help me do a re-write, like the one freely available from ER Central: https://www.er-central.com/ogte/

Jessica Sohn
      Participant

*I now got a better understanding after reading the earlier comments. Real clear examples above.*

Grading the task is focusing more on the students’ ability with the text.
      It means to to adjust the presentation not the text, to make the learners to have the full usage of the text.

Whereas grading the text is examining the text itself -examining or going through what level of vocab/grammar/speaking aspects are in the text for the students to learn.

Excellent to see you nail it now, too, Jessica! Indeed, this is what I really love about blended learning with others.

It’s a good reminder, too, for our own students’ need to revisit some concepts and lessons multiple times and from their different perspectives, learning from each other as well as us.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Content © iTDi TESOL. All rights reserved.