Home Forums iTDi TESOL Certificate 2.2.1.8 Using a text in class

2.2.1.8 Using a text in class

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

communityadmin
      Keymaster

Here is another text. How could you use it in class?

Write a short outline of your plan in a reply below. Comment on other teacher’s plans.

For an extra challenge, review the points on Lesson Planning 1.3.3, and note the following:

• Main aims
      • Stage aims
      • Procedure (details of what is going to happen)
      • Resources, e.g. dictionaries, handouts
      • Anticipated problems and solutions
      • Interaction patterns
      • Timing

You might also revisit the Forum 1.3.3.9 posts for further ideas.

Rhett Burton
      Participant

This task was very challenging for me because I haven’t really written a lesson plan in many years. Also, I tried including waht I have been leaning about while including some of the process that I use/think about when interacting with my studnets.

My main aim is to use text to anchor students and teachers interactions by linking abilities with vocabulary, patterns, and meaningful interactions.

Main aims
      To backward plan communications through the four skills and language strands that my school offers (words, songs, speaking functions, readers, grammar, story plays, phonics, and grammar.). Refer to course macro aims and students abilities to gauge the level of ideal language to be inputted and outputted (expectations).
      Refer to – https://itdi.pro/community/forums/topic/1-3-3-9-writing-a-lesson-plan/

General framework:

Words -> Set the context for the learners to work. 
      Reading Skills – > Decode graphemes that students will need to decode the words successfully. Do this by using words, which contain the desired graphemes, to help them transfer the letter arrangements and sounds linked to each set of letters. 
      Reading and writing for functions – > follow the pre-reading, reading, and post-reading strategies that help students make the task more manageable. Including writing.

(Requirement – requires ownership of language at an A2 level)

Warmer: Look and say. 

Staged interactions via input, output and feedback loops.

Lead-in Activity: Guess my picture (5 to 7 minutes)

Present- (Pre-reading activity)
      Input: I have a picture. I can see it. Ask me a question about the picture. Who’s first?
      Practice- (Predicted Narrative)
      Output: S – cat? T- Is it a cat? S – Is it a cat? T – No. It isn’t a cat. Good question. T- It is an animal.
      Input: What about the size. Can you ask about the size?
      Output: S – Big? T – Is it big? S – Is it big? T- Well… It can be big or small. But I think this animal is smaller than a cat. Let’s ask more questions. 
      Output: S- What color? T- What color is it? S- What color is it? T- It is green. Let’s ask more questions.
      Input: Stop. Let’s listen to our friends. What do they think it is?
      Output: grasshopper. Crocodile. Etc.
      Input: Tell me what you know. 
      Output – It is an animal. It is small. (smaller than a cat). It is green. So… I think it is a grasshopper.
      Input: Good guesses. But they are not the picture I see. I will give you another hint. It is an animal. It is small. It is green. And it has a hard shell on it’s back.
      Output – Ah… I know. Its is a turtle.
      Input: Ding-dang- dong. You are correct.

Reading Task 1: Find the word Turtle and tortoise in the text. (3 minutes)
      Present text – Here is a story. I want (would like) you to look at the sentences and find the word ‘ turtle.’ I will give you 2 minutes. Ready go.

Reading Task 1: Where are the example sentences. (10 minutes)
      Present – In the story, they talk about a tortoise. The tortoise knocked over a lamp. The lamp started a fire. It also talks about a turtle that died in its tank. Can you find these two examples?
      Output: S- Here it is. T- Where? S- Here. T- At the top of the text. S- Yes, at the top of the story. S- and here is ‘turtle’ it is at the bottom of the text.

Reading Task 2: Tortoise vs. Turtle (10 minutes)
      Present Input: Let’s compare by looking at these two pictures. This is a tortoise. This is a turtle. What’s the same? What’s different?
      https://www.britannica.com/story/whats-the-difference-between-a-turtle-and-a-tortoise

Practiced input/output – Listen and repeat- 
      A tortoise is a turtle.
      It is a turtle because it has a hard shell on its back.
      But there are many kinds of turtles.
      This turtle is a tortoise because its legs are different.
      It has large elephant-like feet.
      It doesn’t have webbed feet.

Produce Output: Tell your classmates about Tortoise and a turtle.

Reading Task 3: I am sad. I am happy. (10 minutes)
      Present Input – I am sad. Something in the story made me sad. Can you tell me? Look at the text again…find reasons why I am sad.
      Practiced Output for sad: S – fire. T – You are sad because there was a fire. S- You are sad because there was a fire. T- Yes. And there is another reason. S- You are sad because… the turtle died.
      Yes. I am sad because the turtle died.

Practiced Output for happy: S – rescued. T – You are happy because the tortoise was rescued. S- You are happy because the turtle was rescued.

Produce Output: Tell your classmates what the story make you you happy, sad, scared, etc.

Reading Task 4: Comprehension Check Check. (10 minutes)
      There are two turtles? True / False
      The turtles are pets in a house. True / False
      There was a fire. True / False
      The tortoise died. True / False
      The turtle died. True / False
      The tortoise was rescued. True / False

Produce Output: Write a true/false sentence about the story. Share your sentence with your classmates.

Reading Task 5: Student-Generated Story Play (10 minutes.)
      Input – Use the text, pictures to talk about what happened in the Story. You can change the story to if you want. Share your story with your classmates.

These link activities will guide students to ask/answer questions, compare and contrast, express emotions and allow opportunities to formulate self-expression.

Things I like or found interesting

• A number of the tasks are appropriate for your target A2 students and help to make the text more accessible (e.g. Guess my picture, Task 3 – I am sad vs I am happy)
        • There’s a good variety of communicative tasks
        • Task 1 Scanning for ‘turtle’ is a good pre-listening task.
        • Task 4 comprehension check questions focus on the turtle and the tortoise

Questions

• To what extent might a narrower focus (i.e. set of aims/objectives and corresponding language demands) be more suitable for A2 learners?
        • If you opted for a narrower focus, what tasks might you omit? What tasks might you extend or allow more time for?
        • How might a graphic organiser help students to identify key similarities between a tortoise and a turtle whilst completing the second reading task?

Recommendations

• The text provided and addition text selected would probably work better with B1 students.
        • The task sequencing seems to bounce between (a) the story and (b) comparing turtles and tortoises. It would probably be better to either split the lesson into 2 clear halves or lessons.
        • The lead-in activity could be modified to one that more closely connects to the language in the lesson. For example, drawing from description: Partner A looks at a picture of a turtle and describes it to Partner B who draws. Partner B can ask questions. Partner A cannot say ‘turtle’. Then swap with Partner B looking at a tortoise. This would also link well to Task 2. Then you might modify Task 1 to scan for how many times they can find ‘turtle’ and ‘tortoise’ which will link and lead well into the given text.

Barbara Bujtás
      Participant

Main aim:
      I would use it with B1-B2 level students to practise storytelling.

Stage 1
      Aim: Activating schemata, background knowledge, raising interest
      T dictates the title
      T tells the SS that it is a newspaper article. SS’s task is to guess the story and write it down in 30 words maximum (for a challenge). 6 min
      Stage 2
      Aim: reading for gist and specific info
      SS read the text and answer the questions (in pairs first, then whole class), they can check their phone dictionaries.
      Questions:
      What kind of accident was it?
      Where did it happen?
      Who caused the accident?
      What object started the fire?
      Was anyone injured?
      Do you find anything funny in the story?
      10 min
      Stage 3
      Aim: using vocabulary from the article, brushing up past simple (past continuous)
      SS in small groups draw a timeline of the events only Written on the time staps. (T starts an example timeline on the board with simple sentences like ‘Giovanni decided to take a trip outside his tank’.
      (If it’s too demanding, Scrambled sentences can be given to them, they can place them on the timeline / order them once unscrambled. (T monitors)
      8 min
      Stage 4
      Aim: setting up a common sample story for the next activity
      On timeline is drawn on the board by one student. She dictates the sentences to different students who come to the board. T monitors, corrects.
      5 min
      Stage 5
      Disappearnig words
      Aim: fluency
      Round 1: T erases words from the sentences on the board. SS work in pairs: Student A tells the story to Student B.
      Round 2: T erases further words, Student B now tells the story to Student A.
      4 min
      Stage 6
      Noticing lines of narratives
      Aim: raising awareness to non-linear storytelling
      T: “Does the newspaper article follow a timeline?”
      SS:”Noooooooo”
      T uses the timeline on the board to show how the article’s narrative jumps here and there in time, by drawing a line.
      T draws attention to extra information in the article (age of the owner, the reason why the lady was screaming, etc.
      4 mins
      Stage 7
      Aim: Assigning task (homework)
      -Think of a story that happened to you or you read or saw on TV, in a series or a movie. (If possible, write down the idea on the spot. They tend to think about it anyways, instead of listening to the instructions.)
      Draw a timeline and write the story along the timeline.
      -Add some extra information.
      -Write down your story with the extra information.

Next lesson:
      They see how the elements of the story could be rearranged so that they should not always follow a linear timeline.

Things I liked

• I like how you linked the stages/activities towards students telling their own stories, especially whilst drawing attention to narratives non-linear storytelling
        • Stages have been thought out well to include a range of tasks, skills, and student-teacher interactions

Questions

• What do the students do with their 30-word stories after they finish? Is it a word-limit? Is there a time limit?
        • Stage 2: Which question(s) make a good initial gist reading task?

Suggestions

• Stage 1: 10-minute writing fluency, followed by reading circles, or story-swapping/retelling
        • Stage 2: (a) Choose one or two questions for gist reading, then (b) follow up with your reading task with comprehension questions
        • Stage 3: It’s not entirely clear but it would be good to contrast the use of past simple with past continuous. For example, there are some simple exercises and examples here but I would get students to label corresponding timelines to show they understand:
          https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/basic-grammar/past-continuous-and-past-simple

Masatoshi Shoji
      Participant

Discussion about the topic and story before reading
      Pre-teach some vocabulary before reading
      Give some gist questions
      Give some detailed questions
      Go over some grammar

Good basic summary and logical ordering of activities.

1. How long do you expect to spend on each activity?

2. For each activity, what are the classroom dynamics (e.g. T-class, Pair/Group work, etc)

3. Which vocabulary items do you anticipate your students having trouble with? Which ones would you pre-teach?

4. Write one gist question and 3 detailed questions.

5. How will you decide which grammar items to focus on?

Jessica Sohn
      Participant

Setting the scene: Aim: to bring out interest.

First inform the students that it is an article. Then, show the students some pictures of “Tortoise” and then add on the headline to predict the topic.

-short brainstorming activity: have them start with the title in the middle and then guess and pick out 5 key words from the context.

Pre-teaching vocabulary: Aim: to help them get into the reading.
      Depending on their level. I will go through some words that are important for them to know.
      ex) unharmed / ignited / suffered

Set gist questions
      Aim: to keep them focused on the gist. to have them get the general idea of the context.
      1) Where?
      2) Who caused the accident?
      3) What object started the fire?

Set some detailed questions
      Aim: to encourage some more intensive reading.
      1) Anything weird with the accident?
      2) Who died due to the accident? And who got saved?
      3)What did Giovanni do?
      -have them check answers in pairs.
      -and then go over as a class.

Aim: Check comprehension
      Do another brainstorming activity. Same as the intro activity.(with the title in the middle) Have them check the difference.

Well-thought-out, Jessica, and clearly presented with attention to details and purpose in each linked stage.

With gist questions, remember to focus on the general context or overall impressions/meaning rather than specific details. What might be a more suitable question to ask?

One other good activity is to blank out the headline and have students come up with their own.

scott gray
      Participant

Main Aim:
      Students will be able to pick up the gist of an article. (Using the headline and looking at its connections to the article)
      Pre-Teaching/Highlighting Vocabulary:
      Aim to get focused on key vocabulary and Headline to convey the gist.
      Show pictures of a tortoise and a turtle and ask what is the difference.
      (Possibly good picture of hare and tortoise picture book or bugs bunny vid)
      Have pictures of a small fire and a blaze(our summer camp bonfire I made from a few years ago that had about a 4 meter flame)
      Pictures of water shooting out a person’s nose, flames shooting out of a gun or mouth,
      Pictures of Kansai earthquake with an aquarium heating rod that many fires were started from this same source. (If could find the TV show that showed one starting with it, would use that)

Drawing to answer the questions below:
      (Ask them to draw simple pictures showing the following to show they got the gist)
      A What kind of accident it was?
      B Where it happened?
      C How it happened?
      D Who caused it?

Ask them to underline or highlight in different colors the words that are related to the words in the headline
      ie blaze – fire, firefighter, smoke inhalation, ignited, flames,
      tortoise – pet/African tortoise, reptile, Giovani,

Give a similar short article and have them come up with their own headlines.
      If time underline or highlight the connections to parts of the text.

Good to highlight turtle vs tortoise as some languages don’t have separate words for the two, and I remember getting confused myself as a kid. I also like how you’ve thought outside the box to consider a small fire vs a blaze.

Listen and draw activities often work well with kids though some turn theirs into a labour of love so being clear about time limits and expectations from the outset always helps me in the past with a quick stick-drawing demo which usually causes amusement.

I really like your idea for semantic grouping with highlights. Graphic organisers also work well. I hadn’t realized but Canva (which is free) also lets you make them: https://www.canva.com/graphs/graphic-organizers/

Like yourself, I would focus on the gist and some details whilst emphasising that we don’t always need to understand every word or sentence.

scott gray
        Participant

Yeah time limits definitely a plus as the Michaelangelo syndrome is quite common in kids. Especially here in Japan where perfectionism can be a real bane to quick advancement.

I too, am a cruddy drawer but I find that frees the kids up as when they see what I do they truly can’t say I can’t draw. Especially after seeing what I do. LOL.

Will have to check out Canva.

Linoit boards might be nice if you can trust your kids to not get out of hand. With privacy laws and how much I would have to waste on policing things so far not be so quick to embrace them no matter how much I would like to.

Rhett Burton
      Participant

Tortoise sparks flat blaze

Goal: To read and understand a text

Pictionary –
      Aim: to give students a quick, timed opportunity to draw keywords from the story.

Procedures:
      Stage 1 – Bring 1 or 2 students to the front
      Stage 2 – Have the students draw the keywords: tortoise, tortoise tank, heat lamp, art supplies, apartment, minute, and fire.
      Stage 3 – Ask the students to provide additional information they know about the picture. Label/caption the images with students’ output.

Sequence Sentences
      Aim: to lower anxiety of text by showcasing the text one strip at a time and increasing comprehension by using graded text.

Procedures:
      Stage 1 – Set up the activity by giving students the sentence strips.
      Stage 2 – Dictate the sentences.
      Stage 2 – Have the students read the sentence strips in the order you dictated.
      Stage 3 – Have the students mixed up the order and put the sentence strips back together.

Sentence Strips

There is a turtle in a tank.
      The turtle knocks the tank on the ground.
      A heat lamp falls on some art supplies.
      A fire starts.
      The fire fills the room within minutes.
      The firefighters come and put out the fire.

Reading and Comprehension
      Aim – To transfer knowledge discussed while doing Pictionary and the Sentence Starters to “Tortoise sparks flat blaze.”

Have the students skin, scan, and highlight the text for keywords.

Ask students some comprehension check questions about the text.

Quiz comprehension via “Kahoot It.”

Time Reading
      Aim – To see first hard how practice can improve fluency.

Have students time themselves at school.
      Encourage students to practice at home to decrease there reading time by 5 to 10 seconds.

I like how you’ve created an entire lesson around this and shared it here.

The drawing activity combined with sentence strips is a great combination of ways to make this text more accessible to lower levels, too.

How do you teach your students to skim read vs scan for details?

Doing a timed reading in class is important to set them up for success outside of class, too. Some teachers also encourage students to submit their recordings via WhatsApp, for example, and I’m considering this now, too.

Rhett Burton
        Participant

One strategy I sometimes use to teach skim/scan is highlighting chunks of text from the passages. For this reading text, I would have them use a green, yellow, red, and blue crayon to highlight the patterns /chunk of language that I want students to notice.

Green – There is a turtle in a tank.
        Green – The turtle knocks the tank on the ground.
        Yellow – A heat lamp falls on some art supplies.
        Red – A fire starts.
        Red -The fire fills the room within minutes.
        Blue – The firefighters come and put out the fire.

I have done a lot of timed reading in the past five years. However, each year I do less of it for a variety of reasons. First, it gave my level 1 students (and me) too much stress. They didn’t know how to skip words they didn’t know. They would stop and look for support. In level 2, they might do the same because they still aren’t confident readers nor mastered more advanced decoding. Also, my level 2 (grade 2 students) aren’t always motivated by time to complete the task. My level 3/grade 3 students are far more focused and willing to use time as a motivator.

I am not a fan of collecting too much homework from students because I don’t want to use my time before or after a lesson correcting homework. I would rather work on strategies to make more informed decisions in class based on our shared interactions. I could include WhatsApp or other recording strategies. I do think about this often, but never feel it is the right time for me.

Good idea to use colour. What connections do you make or can you ask students to make between the colour choices?

Note the difference between skimming (reading rapily to get a general overview) and scanning (to find specific information).

I mostly used timed reading with students who have test/exams to prepare for. With young learners, I periodically ask them to read for 3-minutes each, for example, to gauge their individual reading fluency. Making a recording often has a built-in fluency development factor when we ask a student to watch it – though usually, they ask me – and then decide if (s)he is happy with it or wants to try again.

Naoko Amano

Main Aim: Students will develop interest in reading activities, and learn to enjoy reading articles.

First, I am going to show some pictures of pet animals (e.g. dogs, cats, birds, snakes, hamsters, turtles) and ask them what are they. When they recognize they are pet animals, I am going to share the story about my dog I had when I was a child.

Then, I would give handouts to them to introduce this story, telling “Now we are going to read an article about one pet in New York.

“Read title” Aim: To guess what the article is about.
      Some students might not understand the meaning, so I will show another title which means the same as original title.

“Turtle starts a fire in an apartment” Automatically, students will know the meaning of tortoise, sparks, flat, and blaze.

2) Introduce some key vocabulary: To help students understand the article.
      unharmed, smoke inhalation, ignited, suffered

3) Set gist questions: to help create interest in the article, to keep focus or concentration, to know the main idea of the article

1) Is the turtle dead or alive?
      2) How did the turtle start the fire?

I might ask the evidence sentences for each questions.

4) Ask detail questions: to know more about the article and to check if students understand the details of the article.

1) Was it a big fire or a small fire?
      2) How was the turtle rescued?
      3) Was everybody safe?

I like how you start introduce the familiar topic of pets and share a personal story as a lead into the article. How do you usually select which words to introduce before reading?

Nice use of gist and detailed questions, although the second gist question may be a bit challenging. Y/N or True/False questions are generally easier so you might swap How did the turtle start the fire? with Was everybody safe?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Content © iTDi TESOL. All rights reserved.