Home Forums iTDi TESOL Certificate 1.3.2.10 Aims of a lesson

1.3.2.10 Aims of a lesson

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

communityadmin
      Keymaster

Think of three teacher development aims for your next lesson or for future lessons. If possible, think of one aim in each category in Activity 8:

• teaching skills
      • management skills
      • interpersonal skills.

Post your three lesson aims below. Read and comment on other teachers’ aims.

Teaching Skills
      I would like to consider the correction techniques I used in class and evaluate their effectiveness with a view to developing a more systematic approach.

Management Skills
      I would like to become more time-efficient with lesson planning and marking.

Interpersonal Skills
      I would like to become more effective in how I respond to disruptive students in large secondary/high school classes.

Following on from the last question in Activity 11, I also REALLY like the idea of writing down 1 or 2 teacher development aims for each lesson (in addition to the lesson aims for the class/students).

Rhett Burton
      Participant

These statements reflect what I observed from my classroom recording.

Teaching Skills
      I want to include more small group work in my teaching. I did 6 to 6 and 1 to 1 with the teacher, but I didn’t do much for pair work.

Management Skills
      I want to slow down during/ after activities to ensure that all materials are properly organized afterward. In my recorded class, I cleaned directly below the students drawing on the board. It was the most effective timing.

Interpersonal Skills
      I like how I am open to emergent language in the classroom. I would like to include more ramifications for unruly students. In the video, I observed a girl, Ninny, who had a hard time focusing and sitting properly (rolling/lying down). I wonder if there could be a more firm act of compliance.

Barbara Bujtás
      Participant

teaching skills
      I would like to be clearer and more systematic when explaining grammar structures.

management skills
      I want to be more efficient with time, and it has to do with the previous point: clearer explanations take up less time.

interpersonal skills
      Currently, I feel I sometimes hand over too much control to certain 1-2-1 students. I’d like to balance it much better.

Rhett Burton
      Participant

Teaching Skills

I want to include more small group work in my teaching. I will work to incorporate more student to student interactions.

Management Skills

I want to slow down during/after activities to ensure that all materials are appropriately organized. I also want to be better prepared so that all required resources are present for the lesson I need.

Interpersonal Skills

I hope to include a game-layer to scaffold my expectations and motivate their engagement.

Excellent goals to take your teaching to the next level, Rhett! I look forward to hearing more about your plans to implement and evaluate them, plus see them come to fruition!

Masatoshi Shoji
      Participant

– teaching skills
      I want to be more effective in presenting new materials.
      – management skills
      I want to be more effective in eliciting students’ responses.
      – interpersonal skills.
      I want to be more supportive when students need help.

These are all good, specific goals to work on during Module 1 and throughout the course. I look forward to working with you further on them, Masatoshi!

Masatoshi Shoji
      Participant

how I respond to disruptive students in large secondary/high school classes is a very difficult task.
      I wish I could do better on this.

In my 20 years of teaching, I would say that HS boys were the most challenging for me. During those years, I talked a lot to my colleagues and senior teachers to see what worked for them. Different teachers had different ways of dealing with discipline but some of the most successful teachers were those that had clear rules, boundaries, and expectations; ensured that the students knew they were responsible for their learning and behaviour and held accountable for it. They were firm but fair, strict when necessary but otherwise kind and supportive.

One of the most helpful resources I’ve read as been Dream Class by an experienced teacher, Michael Linsin:

The One Thing Standing In Your Way Of Having Your Dream Class

At the end of this introductory article, you’ll see links to other suggested reading, including how to deal with disruptive students, which was one of the most helpful for me, too.

scott gray
        Participant

I think not being too hard on yourself is a good place to start. I find that the busier you can keep them the fewer problems you have and ways to help that are to make sure it is at high comprehensibility and the more interesting to them it is the easier it gets. That also helps with motivation and involvement.

Jessica Sohn
      Participant

Teaching skills
      I would like to teach reading(vocab/reading/comprehension) using less of L1.
      I would like to teach speaking in an easier and a more efficient way. (for foundations class like G1-2)

Management skills
      I would like to teach more smoothly, not to rush with my lessons. (I feel I sometimes just go too fast)

Interpersonal skills
      I want to care and love the kids equally.

Great goals, Jessica, and caring and loving our students equally is literally at the heart of what we do.

In Module 3, we’ll focus more specifically on teaching reading, and then teaching speaking will be addressed further in Module 4. In the meantime, we can keep these in mind as you do your teaching practicums.

With regard to that feeling of rushing, it’s good to identify the source. For example, many teachers feel pressured to ‘complete the textbook unit/lesson’ (either due to their own expectations, or those of parents and/or the school). Other teachers sometimes just try to do too much when less maybe more.

As you get to know your learners, the materials, and various activities more and more, you’ll probably find it easy to decide (whilst the lesson is in progress) which parts of your lesson (plan) to take more time over, spend less time on, or cut entirely.

One key to this is teaching the students who are there in front of you and meeting them at their starting point, regardless of what other people think or say they should be able to do. (I’m not making a judgment here on your teaching, but just sharing something good to keep in mind and it’s something (almost) all of us have to remind ourselves from time to time!)

Lastly, many teachers try to fill the silence, especially with beginners (or kids). Understanding the different types of silence plus the value of wait time can allow greater learning to take place with more input from students and time for teachers to observe learning and see the bigger picture.

Rhett Burton
        Participant

I would like to teach reading(vocab/reading/comprehension) using less of L1.
        This is one reason why I love doing the TDV videos. It allows us to see when we are using the student’s L1 when teaching. We can start making changes during all 12 of the TDV. I like how specific you are with your teaching goals.

Beverly Anne Suarez
      Participant

Teaching Skills

I would want to develop the practice of not going to translation as a means of letting students understand a concept more. I feel like I do this a lot more than giving examples or giving context clues.

Management Skills

I feel like I am not really good with time management and also planning lessons which has equal numbers of up activities and down activities, meaning the energy in the classroom should be a balance of both.

Interpersonal Skills

I would want to have a better grasp of what the students are having problems with and how they feel in class so that I can focus more on students that are having problems and students that are disruptive in class.

A visual reminder posted on your computer screen might help with the first one whilst teaching online (although translation isn’t necessarily a bad thing at all, just another tool to use wisely).

Do you mean time management during the class and/or in preparing? For example, I recall how often I spent 1-2 hours preparing for a 40-minute lesson. My aim after I’d taught 2-6 months was to get it down to 40-minutes. Meanwhile, in class, I sometimes used to get tied up in answering language questions from students or sidetracked with students eager to talk about their topics of interest, typically at the expense of the final free production stage. So, writing down both the expected length of time for each activity and the lesson running time helped me manage it better, along with factoring in time for students’ questions. Lastly, my colleague advised me to aim to ‘finish’ five minutes before class officially ended. I still find this one challenging but it’s better when there is time for a summary recap, additional Q&A, and a calm, focused finish to the lesson.

For activity times, I similarly made a column on my lesson plan to indicate the classroom dynamics as well as skills focus (e.g. listening, speaking, reading, writing). This helped me to see the overall balance of the lesson better. Perhaps something similar might work for you, too.

scott gray
      Participant

Teaching: I want to get rid of more of my bad habits and lower teacher talk time. I would like to replace it with better MFI than me. Also, use a variety of methods to teach as most teachers tend to make a rut and getting stuck in it creates more problems than we want.

Managing: I would like to keep better records and not be so harsh. I was in charge of Seito-Shido for a number of years and unfortunately, our school often does not have all the teachers on the same page which complicates things.

Interpersonal: I would like to be more understanding and receptive in their eyes. I think I am not so bad but my image is definitely the opposite and I am sure at times it is my biggest failure point as a teacher.

Always good to keep refining our practice, whether we’ve been teaching, 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30+ years 😉 #LifelongLearning

Just to confirm, MFI = meaning-focused input (Nation)?

In what ways would you like to be less harsh? Perhaps sharing and focusing on one or two concrete aspects would be helpful? It sounds like you’re seeking that balance between being firm (and fair) with tough love when needed but also more empathetic, as opposed to being (perceived as) strict?

Just an observation, but there is a tendency for many if not most teachers (as well as managers/parents) to either be strict or come across as stricter when trying to keep everyone ‘on task’. And when doing so, this can often lead to more stress which in turn tends to make teachers stricter (especially if it’s with teens in school who typically ‘push back’). Being task/objective-orientated can also lead us to forget the process at least somewhat.

So one thing that often helps is to set things up really clearly, then step back, get out of the way, and let the learners get on with it whilst resisting any urge to step in unless they’re really struggling. This may well mean allowing students to make more mistakes, both language-wise and procedurally, and it may also mean the task takes longer than we planned in our heads (since we often assume things will run smoothly), but the learning and experience will be theirs, and arguably all the richer for it.

Taking notes for post-task feedback also means that we have more time to prioritise feedback, such that less will be more, especially when given afterwards when attention isn’t still split between the task-goal and feedback. So, rather than stepping in to correct, give help/feedback (possibly multiple times?) during the task, which students can feel is more controlling/strict, we give them more ‘breathing space’.

I’m sure this is all familiar to you already, but I think that this a good opportunity to share and explore some related points.

Naoko Amano

Teaching Skills
      I want to be more clear about what I want students to do.

Management Skills
      I want to have more focused lessons because I tend to do many things in one lesson.

Interpersonal Skills
      I would like to notice their weaknesses and strength earlier. So that I will be able to give them effective advice.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Naoko Amano.

These are all great goals, Naoko, and I know you’ll be discussing them further and revisiting them with your Tutor.

In the meantime, if you haven’t this already, here’s a practical and fun video from the British Council on giving clear instructions:

Rhett Burton
      Participant

As I continue with the TESOL course, I aim to map out my processes for how I teach.

Teaching Skills

I want to be more fluent at bridging the gap between theory and my craft. I have different levels of awareness for applying various theories, and I would like to find moments to reflect on them to define my processes better. Higher levels of awareness should allow me to make more informed decisions about my teaching at different stages of my lessons and courses.

Management Skills

I want to have a better documentation system that allows me to reference how I use and link my materials together. The Documentation system would provide me a better window into the exercises, activities, and tasks that lead to a comprehensive learning solution.

Interpersonal Skills

I want to get clear on my processes to spend more time focusing on the students and less time thinking about implementing and moving through the exercise, activities, and tasks during my lessons.

It’s valuable to increasingly understand the theory and research that underlies our teaching practice. Similarly, it’s valuable to look for theory and research that is informed by practice, and consider its degree of applicability to our own teaching context.

Good idea, Rhett, to give yourself a birds-eye view of all the syllabuses and materials that combine into your curriculum.

Aiden HANAE
      Participant

– teaching skills

I would like to be able to have students express themselves in one way or another, even if it’s “I like this” or by simply giving more choices.

Another thing is I would like to be able to teach grammar with less explaining.

– management skills

When I move to the next stage in each given lesson, I would like it to be more flowing, rather than having an awkward stagnation while I wonder if I should go on  to the next topic.

– interpersonal skills

I seem to have a dull, bored look when I’m with the kids. I would like to look (or act) more energetic, and in doing so the atmosphere I create might be beneficial to the whole class.

In today’s tutorial, it was good to explore some options to include student choice and opportunities for them to express themselves more freely.

Teaching with less explanation and more demonstration often makes it easier for students to understand (i.e. Show more, rather than Tell)

Even if it looked that way to you, you really didn’t come across that way in your Teaching Demonstration Video, and your class had a friendly, fun, and relaxed atmosphere that the kids clearly enjoyed!

David Booton
      Participant

Teaching Skills – I would like to work on more concise grammar instructions for my classes.

Management Skills – I would like to focus less on the 1-2 students in most classes that take up most of my time.

Interpersonal Skills – I have noticed that my tone makes it sound like I am angry, even when I am not.  This is something that I need to work on.

Hi Dave! Those are all good things to focus on. Please feel free to share any approaches or strategies you think will help you and/or ask away. We can also discuss these further in our next tutorial 🙂

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Content © iTDi TESOL. All rights reserved.