Home Forums iTDi TESOL Certificate 1.1.1.7 A vocabulary lesson: Activity 7

1.1.1.7 A vocabulary lesson: Activity 7

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

communityadmin
      Keymaster

Which of the four possible approaches in Activity 6 do you prefer?
      Why?
      How could you improve them even more?

I like to involve students wherever possible and start with what they know. So, the approach where the teacher elicits the vocabulary item with a picture prompt (or descriptive clue) is preferable for me.

To improve, it can be helpful (if not essential) to include concept questions to check understanding and help avoid confusion. For example, I might ask learners about some of the differences between bus and coach. This also helps them to connect the new word to an easier, more frequent and familiar word.

Steven Herder
      Participant

To be honest, I really struggle with prescribed vocabulary, meaning teaching a pre-determined list of vocabulary. I much prefer dealing with emergent vocabulary – words that students want to use but don’t know. Of course, the reason for this is that the words STICK much better from my experience.

Whilst I’ve moved more towards emergent vocabulary, especially with smaller classes, there are two types of class that still leave me with room for thought.

Firstly, the need for selecting vocabulary for ESP classes (especially with CLIL or CBI). For example, teaching medical students in Japan on a medical English course required them to learn prescribed medical vocabulary (no pun intended!). The learners don’t know what they need to know in order to make a differential diagnosis or explain basic medical procedures, etc. Another example was a Law & English in Practice course, for which they needed certain keywords and phrases to help them build and present arguments, offer supporting evidence, make counter-claims, etc. However, it was more flexible and the students were allowed to negotiate the topics of interest so topic-related vocabulary was more emergent.

Second, large general English classes in Japan with 30+ students means that relying on emergent vocabulary in open class would likely mean contributions from the same core students who are generally more capable, confident, and comfortable volunteering. However, I might reconsider how I do this next time with vocabulary notebooks (which I’ve used successfully in the past) as tools for students to ‘collect’, share and learn useful, interesting, or memorable words and expressions.

Barbara Bujtás
      Participant

Well, I hardly ever present vocabulary explicitly, like in the example. Usually there is some sort of input, I make sure that my learners know the key vocabulary of the given text input. I simply ask them if they know certain words and encourage them to ask. (Then keywords and words that students have chosen are collected in a list.)

I like that you collect keywords from students in a list, giving visual confirmation. Connected to Steve’s points about learner errors in our first tutorial, it’s good to think about 3 things when we ask if students understand:

a) Do students ask or tell us if they don’t know or understand? (Generally, this is more likely in smaller classes, and less likely in medium/large ones, but also depends on relationships, trust, context, and other variables)?

b) When students tell us that they understand, how do we know if they think they understand but actually don’t understand or understand partially? And what can help us to address this?

rhettburton80
      Participant

I am sorry… but… Where is activity 6?

rhettburton80
      Participant

I like writing the key words on the board.
      To improve on it, I would decode the word by graphemes and maybe by syallbles too.
      I would also vary the pace (fast and slow).
      I would add more context and more Tarlget lanugage to paint a fuller picture of a ‘coach’.

Writing key words (or getting students to write them) on the board is a good teaching practice, and personally, I liked it when teachers did this consistently. For example, one of my French teachers always wrote new incidental words down the left-hand side of the board and taught us to colour-code masculine vs feminine nouns.

For young learners, I’ve also see some nice things, for example, colour coding letters to make patterns more visible. For example, writing the ‘at’ in blue for each of these with the first consonant in red: bat, cat, hat, mat, sat.

rhettburton80
        Participant

I have wanted to come up with a color coding scheme. I wasn’t successful so I bold the characters. I am not too sure if it is evident enough though.

Naoko Amano
      Participant

I usually present vocabularies with pictures and written words because students can easily understand the meaning. Written words help them to know how to pronounce.   Then,  they practice the target phrases with those vocabularies.   As they repeat to use  new vocabularies through various of activities they can memories naturally.

scott gray
      Participant

Lately, I have been using Quizlet to make a set of words with pictures that I can assign them to do before class and see if they have attempted or succeeded at them. It also has game versions that the students can play to beat others in the class or their own times. That way more reviewing in class than teaching. One way I do like to do is one Penny Ur showed in a class she did at iTDi where you write a collection of words on the board. Not related and various forms especially if introducing the vocabulary. You then give them about a minute to look at them. Then erase or hide them and have them write them in their notebooks. After a few minutes have them check with their peers. A group review afterward, eliciting from them words that I noticed many had troubles with from students who got it on their own or I have hinted at or even given the meaning to while walking around the groups seems to work well. Then through the rest of the lesson,I write down any of those words or new words on side of the board that they mistake or do not know to go over at the end of class.

Using Quizlet before class sounds like a great plan. And that you for sharing and reminding me of that activity from Penny Ur’s course! I think I’ll revisit it myself, too! 🙂

Do you make Quizlet scores part of a final grade?

(My general policy is to grade students in multiple ways that reflect different components of the course and the amount of time/effort they put into their learning, as well as the outcomes.)

scott gray
        Participant

I try to as a general rule. It sometimes get subsumed in just the general class participation section but I do let them know it affects their grade just sometimes with the shifting sands it doesn’t mean as much as I would like it to mean. A good point though is like in the TBLt course I try to make it more of feedback than assessment. The main goal is to get them to study more and use language more rather than to rank a student. So yes in some way I get it in their just it often has a murky flavor to how it is done.

I also agree I should go back to Penny’s courses again. She is one of the few I have had the experience of even though I attended their webinar, seminar, or presentation the next time I review it I still find Aha moments or things I forgot I knew or did and want to become better afterwards. She also is one of the best I have found who makes you feel so involved even when it is a case of just mainly listening. I really appreciate all the ones I have taken with her and almost annually do short review to see what I have forgotten. Thanks iTDi for those great chances.

Jessica Sohn
      Participant

I usually present words(written form) with pictures and involve a lot of my students into choral reading. I find it very effective with young students when using visual, speaking, and listening at the same time. And, I use the words in their reading text so they continuously get exposed with the new words. I think repetition is the key to memorizing.

Like you and Scott (below), I agree with a multi-sensory approach (e.g. including Total Physical Response) for YLs as well as older learners wherever possible.

Similarly, consider recycling essential, with (graded/levelled) readers and/or listening being particularly beneficial.

One other key component to making things memorable is having a strong emotional/personal connection. Although this might be considered output, I often do this after or while concept-checking.

scott gray
      Participant

Jessica, I agree that teaching young children repetition is really important. I also think that TPR for little kids, especially with verbs, is quite useful. The more senses they use the quicker they pick it up from my experience.

Beverly Anne Suarez
        Participant

I agree that the more senses they use, the quicker they can pick up the words. I read something about learning before that if you are learning something and an emotion is involved in the learning process, the topic will stick with you more. I remember teaching projectile motion before and at the start of class, I threw a piece of chalk to the other side of the classroom. The class became very quiet, and then I said “That is what projectile motion is.”. I still have students who remember that lesson because of that incident.

Indeed, you did something very unexpected with the chalk!

scott gray
        Participant

Bev, that is great when you can get them emotionally the memory is stronger and as you know they remember that. Almost wish I could have been there as sounds like a great class.

Beverly Anne Suarez
      Participant

The way I introduce new vocabulary words is through a chant using the words with a visual representation. That way, the students who doesn’t have that much experience with the language can participate as well. After that, the written form is introduced. I think for students, especially young learners, having the written form available the same time as a word is just introduced is challenging because they are still starting to learn reading. I also ask them to make their own gestures when doing the chants so that I know that they understood the meaning of the word.

Chants are great and choral chants can allow shyer and/or less confident students a chance to participate with the group. However, what do teachers do if a student isn’t chanting?

It’s good that you also consider the relative learning load for YLs to inform your decision when to introduce the written form.

Bei – you’ve reminded me of all the great stuff done with jazz chants by Caroline Graham.

rhettburton80
      Participant

I like to present the spoken and written form together. I generate more spoken output than written output because of the ease of aural language. I also intentionally choose to promote a phonemic first approach. I do like using the written form to anchor the students’ attention. My young learners need to see how the aural sounds are represented by text. I want to note that I introduce all English sounds, but I focus the students’ attention mostly to letter sounds and short vowel blends. I slowly include more phonemes and graphemes as their awareness of the English language increases. I also anchor meaning through my body language and visuals too.

As for meaning, I use pictures as visuals cues. Then, I try to make the vocabulary word meaningful by including it a task or activity that provides the students with the opportunity to define the meaning through the context of the task. I hide the repetition and practice of vocabulary in the process of doing the task.

Thanks for adding that, Rhett. Do you use the IPA to promote a phonemic first approach?

For anyone interested, you can find a chart with both BrE and AmE here: http://www.phonemicchart.com/

For anyone interested to see how phonemes can be represented by the IPA as well as different graphemes (i.e. spelling), here as really useful chart: https://www.dyslexia-reading-well.com/44-phonemes-in-english.html It also includes 5 tips for Teaching Phonemic Awareness  from the book 50 Reading Strategies for K-8 Learners (Sage Publications):

1. Analysis of phonemic awareness assessment data should drive instruction, as only a small percentage of students need explicit instruction (Ehri & Roberts, 2006).
        2. Phonemic awareness instruction should be a positive, enriching experience that allows students to engage in language play (Yopp, 1992).
        3. Effective phonemic awareness instruction provides for individual differences in abilities and uses leveled scaffolding to facilitate growth (McGee & Ukrainetz, 2009).
        4. Developmentally appropriate phonemic awareness instruction uses chants, poetry, songs, and rhymes to engage students’ curiosity about language and to develop metalinguistic awareness (Yopp & Yopp, 2000).
        5. Effective phonemic awareness instruction explicitly labels sounds and demonstrates the process of blending-segmenting of sounds (Ehri et al., 2001).

Jessica Sohn
      Participant

Interesting clip!!!

Masatoshi Shoji
      Participant

#1 eliciting is very important. However, time limitation must be considered as well.

Like many teachers, you value eliciting but make a good point about time considerations. Class size may also be a factor to consider. Why do you prefer eliciting, by the way?

Lastly, how might you improve on any of the 4 approaches presented in Activity 6?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Content © iTDi TESOL. All rights reserved.