return to course list
Breaking into Business English with Vicki Hollett
Help your students get ahead. Whether you are new to Business English, or whether you are already working in the field, this course will develop a deeper awareness of the communication skills your students need to advance their careers and communicate successfully in an international workplace. Sign up to get practical ideas, techniques and materials that teachers can use to teach Business English with confidence.
Live online sessions will be held in the iTDi virtual classroom on Sundays in July.
Live sessions (registered participants only)
- July 6th – course participants only (60 minutes)
- July 13th – course participants only (60 minutes)
- July 20th – course participants only (60 minutes)
- July 27th – course participants only (60 minutes)
Time: 14:00 - 15:00 GMT
Enroll in the entire course for only US $49
Course + Evaluation + Certificate of Accomplishment US $75
Questions? Contact email@example.com
With Vicki you will...
- develop skills and techniques to identify the specific needs of your business English students.
- explore popular Business English teaching approaches, along with ways to give feedback that go beyond traditional grammatical evaluations.
- share practical activities to enhance communication skills in business meetings, conference calls, presentations, emails, etc.
- consider intercultural and pragmatic issues that can significantly impact your students' abilities to do their jobs successfully.
Throughout the course we'll be building a library of links to useful Business English resources and activities. And by the end of the course you should have the know-how needed to design courses for a wide variety of Business English contexts.
Week 1 - We'll focus on identifying student needs, communities of practice, stakeholders and teaching contexts, learner-centred courses, and questionnaires and interviews.
Week 2 - We'll focus on exploring approaches for teaching business English, including the lexical approach, task-based learning, Dogme, case studies, and evaluation and feedback.
Week 3 - We'll focus on business communication skills, including presentations, meetings, negotiations, telephoning and conference calls, email, and text and report writing.
Week 4 - We'll focus on intercultural issues and impression management, including English as a lingua franca, critical incidents, small talk, linguistic politeness, and pragmatics.
Vicki Hollett has been a business English teacher for over 30 years. She has
written many top selling Business English course books for Oxford University
Press and Pearson including Business Objectives, Business Opportunities (both
first prize winners in the English Speaking Union competition), In At The Deep
End, Lifestyle and Tech Talk. Vicki has delivered teacher training courses and
workshops all over the world. She has trained teachers for the LLCI's Diploma in
English for Business, the New School MA TESOL program and conducted Business
English teacher training syllabus development work for Cambridge ESOL. She is on
the Editorial Panel of the English Language Teaching Journal. Online, Vicki
blogs at www.vickihollett.com,
and she runs the www.simpleenglishvideos.com website.
Many of the videos she makes can be seen on her YouTube channel on