Give Me a Clue: A Course in Becoming a Successful English Language Learner with Dr. John F. Fanselow, Dr. Takaaki Hiratsuka and Takahiro Kojima
Five practices to become successful learners which tap your natural curiosity:
1. Integrate your speaking, listening, writing, and reading rather than concentrate on one skill at a time.
2. Discover the richness of using sketches to master grammar and vocabulary rather than memorizing rules and definitions.
3. Learn how to select the correct meanings of unknown words while using a bilingual dictionary and how to predict meanings of unknown words by asking whether the unknown words refer to people, places, actions, feelings, time, etc. and looking at the words you know in a sentence to enable you to guess the meanings of words you do not know.
4. Only use materials with content that you are very interested in rather than textbooks selected by others.
5. Produce your own questions on printed materials rather than answer questions others have asked.
Dr. John F. Fanselow, Dr. Takaaki Hiratsuka and Takahiro Kojima
Professor, Columbia University, Teachers College and Visiting Professor, Kanda University of International Studies; Assistant Professor, University of the Ryukyus; Professor, Department of International Education, Faculty of Education for Future Generations, International Pacific University.